Summoning the Power of OT! Unleash the dogs!!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by jjski78, Feb 19, 2008.

1. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Ok guys, I got into it with a "professional detailer" on another forum. Now, he does good work, provided his pics aren't chopped, but I had one big problem with his attitude. According to this jackhole, "Good professional detailers only use 3M products". When I asked him about Optimum, Menzerna, and :eek3: Zaino, he basically said that people who use those aren't true pros. He also insists that you can, using polish mind you, burn paint with a PC or UDM, and also damage you paint severely by polishing by hand. So with that I will leave you the link, and please, one of you detailing gods, please post some pics, tell this jackhole what products you use, and shut him up. You may get banned, but hell, you'll probably never visit this forum again anyways, and I'd love to destroy a little bit of his credibility for being such a tool. So, here you go! I'm not gonna post in there anymore because my main screenname was banned until May, my second one was banned for life, and I just made a third one and am gonna lay low for a while. So anyways, here's the link to the thread. Feel free to join and blast away.:noes:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f25/need-advice-polishing-27540/

edit: The guys name is cctmobiledetail. Total tool.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Here is his business - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/aos/577119977.html

He's a traveling detailer I guess. Maybe he is sponsored through 3M and feels the need to up sell anything they put their name on.

The truth is he doesn't realize that other products do just as well if not better than 3M. Show him a picture of a nicely done car that was done without 3M products/accessories, then ask him if he thinks that car looks "unprofessional" or "low quality". He'd be a real ass to say it could look better if "X" brand was used on it.

Not only that, but I bet more than half of his clients could care less what brand product he used as long as the car came out looking top notch. It's pretty obvious he has an infatuation beyond practicality with 3M, just let him die of old age.

3. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I still think it would be fun to have someone like Scott or Justin post up their clients cars and the processes used, just to make him look like the tool that he is.

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I agree. I would say something but I am a lowly mechanic who cleans his car by hand and polishes/waxes by hand as well. I am more than happy with Turtle Wax products on my MR2, they cut through 22 years of oxidation and made it shine again. That's pretty far from a "high end" detailing product, but again...if it works it works. If I'm happy with the end result, how is someone going to stand there and tell me I should have spent my money on a different brand product? Where is the visual difference for my money?

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

:mamoru: Since I started in 1992, I am already past 12,000 cars. Not all of those are details, of course but that's how many I have washed/waxed/detailed, etc since I started and I wasn't even full time until April 1994.

Why not link some of mine, Todd (TH001) or Joe's (Superior Fine) click and brag threads on autopia?

You'd think he'd know that Auto Magic (aka Clay Magic) makes all the clay available in America...

6. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Because I wouldn't want to steal your thunder Scott. And like I said, my first two names on that site got banned, and I'm laying low with my new one. If I just come out on my first post with guns blazing, they will know it's me.

And Scott, hope you don't mind, I did copy/paste a couple of your stickies here to go onto that forum since people kept asking the same damn questions over and over again.

7. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

You would think, what with his 15 years experience and 4400+ cars detailed.

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Monopoly FTW! :mamoru:

9. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I think its pretty obvious that guy is a prick and a 3M fanboy. I'd say leave it at that.

10. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

There is nothing wrong with being 3M exclusive, and every professional shop I've ever been to is either built on 3M/Meguiars or a no name brand.

I hope I'm not pissing on your parade; but if it gets the job done, is local and readily available, has a longstanding reputation, and isn't too expensive- what more could you ask for?

I don't count cars, but as an estimate I'm well past this guys 4200 and have never touched Zaino, Optimum, Moose, Poorboy, Vanilla fucking Pudding trend or anything ordered from a website. I say let the guy be, there should be no shame in using an industry staple because others are using some cult chemicals and orbital polishers. :jerkit:

11. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

cctmobiledetail = tool

Arguing with an idiot over the interweb is just futile. Rather than educate such a fool, maybe just let the legend-in-his-own-mind drift back into his skewed reality without a fuss?

You are not going to change his mind, unless you're going to pay him to pimp your product. It is obvious, that he's been bought. Our detailers here are uber-pros, open minded and always willing to help out, unfortunately, the same can't be said for other forums/detailers. I say walk away and let it rest.

Just my $0.02 worth.

12. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Believe me......sometimes it's not worth arguing over. Is he going to change? Uh....no.

As for experience, this is my second year (March 1st) and I average 5 vehicles per day with 4 full details per week. I also work 6 days a week but only from 8am to 3pm. I pick up my son from school. To me, it's not how many you do but how many referrals you get. Seriously. If you're getting referrals you're doing something right. I have only spent 200.00 in advertising over the last 24 months. It's really a pretty simple business.

Thanks guys. I really enjoy it here.

13. Scottwax

They hold the US patent ftw, I guess.

14. Scottwax

I think his point is the guy is acting like a Zaino nazi, insisting that only what they use is good and everything else is junk. 3M definitely has some good products, Ultrafina SE rocks as a finishing polish via rotary.

15. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

There are so many nice products out there though. I have 30 3oz. samples of just polish because in an uncontrollable enviroment, they can all act different. All paint is different as well. I don't care what anyone says. Now, if I worked in a 72*, 0% humidity controlled room, I would probably only use 3M and Menzerna but I would never say they are the only ones that anyone should use.

Using different polishes and waxes are one of the things that keeps this job interesting to me and I bet others.

16. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Exactly my point. I also have some 3m products in my arsenal, but I also have Optimum, Menzerna, Poor Boys, and Werkstatt. And a jar of S100 fr the wife's black Jetta (first and last black car I EVER buy!). The thing that pissed me off was the fact that he basically says if you don't use 3M, then you don't know anything about detailing.