A&P Summer Photo Assistant Job

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by BabelJoat, Apr 2, 2008.

1. BabelJoat

BabelJoat New Member

hi everyone, after lurking in a&p for some time i finally decided to post

i've been doing photography for a couple of years now and i'm thinking of getting more experience and make some money by becoming a photographer's assistant
    does anyone have experience with being an assistant or know how to go about finding a job?

2. Trlstyle

Trlstyle New Member

Know people
    Call local studios/call who you would WANT to intern for (or at least the line of work)
    Get an AV
    etc, etc, etc...

3. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

without any proper/official training in photography, it may be a little difficult to go right in to assisting. You may want to look at becoming an intern first. Get the hang of things, see what it's like to work on set.

If you have had some official training, then yeah, assisting is a great way to gain experience in the industry.

First think of what branch of the industry you want to eventually get into. Weddings/events? Consumer portraiture? Advertising/commercial? Fashion? Editorial? etc...

Then find photographers in the field you want to get into and whose work you admire. Try to contact them via e-mail, or even better by phone. Ask if you can meet w/ them sometime just to talk about opportunities.

There are resources like The Workbook you may want to check out to see examples of photographer's works to maybe find some names.

Oh and yeah as Trlstyle mentioned: Know people. Name drop if you can also. It can sometimes get you where you otherwise could never get to

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:rofl:

5. BabelJoat

BabelJoat New Member

haha thanks, i'll get on that soon

6. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Don't.

7. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Call and ask, keep calling and keep asking. Eventually you'll find someone to take you on, just be persistent... Also treat them like jesus, because to you, they are. Don't waste their time, don't be late, don't question anything they do while on a job, even if just want to know more about it, make a mental note and ask them later.