MIL Suicide in the Corps

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Vlachen, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Vlachen

Vlachen New Member

What the fuck?

Saturday, the 18th of March, 2006, a Sergeant I knew blew his head off right in front of his wife. A Marine that recently gained another child. A Marine who just re-enlisted. A Marine that was selected for Staff.

I knew him, worked with and for him for a few years, before he went to the schoolhouse to teach. He happened to hail from the same state as I.

I cannot for the life of me figure this one out. What drives someone to this?

And the bigger question, why does it happen so fucking often in the Marine Corps?

May he rest in whatever peace he can find, but he'll get no pity from me. I do, however, give my deepest sympathies to his wife and children, for whom life will never be right.

What a fucking cop-out.

2. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

the brain can only stay washed so long before it snaps....

Sorry for the joke. It is a shame but he may have been battling some inner demons for awhile and it finally got the best of him. :dunno:

3. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

^we've all got our inner demons. The Corps just adds a lot frustration and stress to it.

4. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

.......when I get out of the Corps, even though as proud as I am, I'm going to try and forget all about it. I think it's the only way to lead a happy life. I'll have a few photos here and there, but that's about it.

5. Teh Legacy

Teh Legacy New Member

Permanant solution for a temporary problem. :(

S/F

6. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

yall watch FMJ too much i guess:dunno:

sucks for his wife and kids...they didn't deserve that kind of chicken shit

7. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

maybe he finally realized how it's all a lie and sick of the corps.

8. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

u sounded just like me. it's not that i'm getting sick of it, i just lost all the motivation and stop eating all the bs they've been feeding me all these years.

9. Accord

Accord New Member

Not Feeling Like A Marine Today?
    By: Master GySgt. Billy Stewart

Have you ever woken up and not felt like a Marine? Your motivation was low, you were tired, and you just didn't feel the pride, esprit de corps, and desire to wear the uniform that day. This went on for a day, month, or maybe even a year. In fact, you may be struggling with these feelings right now. You cannot get going and you feel your career is stagnant. Maybe you are not currently deployed and feel left out. Rest assured, you are not alone and the feelings are fairly common. Welcome to the "slump."

We have all heard this word before, or have experienced it personally in other facets of our lives. A slump can cripple whatever it comes in contact with. These facets could be many things such as a hobby, sport, relationship, or our job. In the Marine Corps, it is understood that small slumps arise. However, as a force in readiness we cannot afford to have long-term personal slumps when it comes to being a Marine. Slumps destroy the very foundation of what we are. How can we fix it? Simply put, we need to keep our minds right and focused. The methods that I have used to get my "mind right" over the years have proven to be successful. The solutions for the "Marine Corps slump" are simple yet effective.

First and foremost, a slump may be a sign that you're in need of annual leave or some type of liberty. Our Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) often are extremely hectic as well as physically and mentally taxing. This is an understatement, especially true during this time of war. Leave and liberty not only provides an avenue for Marines to recharge their batteries, but it also will break the monotony that accompanies any job. Another point that many overlook is that Marines are away from their families and friends while serving. This can be especially stressful for those who have rarely been separated from loved ones. Leave not only provides an avenue to go "home," but ensures that family ties remain as strong as possible. I personally spoke to a father a few weekends ago concerning his son's service into the military. The father stated that he felt as though he and his son were best friends. I can only imagine the feeling of emptiness that accompanies their separation during these trying times. Both have said that they would attempt to plan annual leave around deer hunting season so they can spend quality time together as they had for so many years.

A second cause for a slump is that you may not be plugged into the proper source. What does that mean? Just as a great coach and teammates develop a great athlete, Marines must be around strong leaders and fellow Marines. Leathernecks of this caliber will by default bring out the best in any Marine and foster an atmosphere of motivation and esprit de corps. This will in turn motivate a Marine to just "be a Marine." If second-rate performance and standards surround a Marine, maintaining a high level of motivation will be challenging to say the least. It is hard to be a Marine when those around you do not set the stage to do so. My teachers used to tell me, if you hang around with trash, you'll end up at the garbage dump. This is a simple yet true statement that takes me into my next point. Always associate with good Marines. If you find yourself not feeling like a Marine, take a look at who you're hanging around with. You might find that they are not living up to Marine expectations. Remember dirt rubs off. Check what source you're plugged into and if need be, find a new outlet or wash the dirt off.

A third way of recharging the motivational batteries and beating your slump is to read or watch programs about great Marines, or visit a famous Marine Corps base/place. This is usually what attracted you to the Corps in the first place. It may have been done through the movies, maybe a book in your school library, or a story from a relative that proudly served. The Commandant of the Marine Corps' (CMC) Reading Program is incredible and will bring to life what being a Marine really means. I have read many books that have rejuvenated my desire to be a better Marine and leader while making myself more competitive for promotion. The base library has a great selection of these books. Sometimes I cannot put these books down. When you don't have the time to finish a book, I recommend popping in your favorite Marines Corps movie or documentary. I still get motivated when I see Jack Webb in the movie "The DI" or John Wayne in "The Sands of Iwo Jima." I have shown these movies during PME and you would be amazed at the attitude of the Marines as they are departing the pattern. Most are barking at each other and giving orders, while a couple will show up with spit-shined boots the next day. Whenever I am in San Diego, I always make it a point to stop by the Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD) to remember where it all begins. There is also a Marine Corps Museum there that is equally awesome. Being stationed in Washington, DC has afforded me the opportunity to visit many memorials. As I leave these places, I again feel the pride of being a part of America's finest. Besides receiving a great history lesson, visiting these places will dip your roots into the Marine Corps' "fountain of youth." No matter how many times I visit the Iwo Jima Memorial, it still affects me in a profound way.

My fourth and favorite way to wrestle my slump is through both an organized unit and personal physical fitness (PT) program. One of the best ways of causing individuals to feel like Marines is getting in shape. Many times our work hours are in conflict with PT time. We must make time and force ourselves to PT. It is not an option. General Hagee has established a regiment for all Marines to follow. Getting in shape is not always fun, but being in shape certainly is. It changes our attitude towards being a Marine. It brings Marines together and builds teamwork. I always feel great after my department works out together. If your shop is not doing organized PT, take charge and make a difference. You will be glad you did.

Finally, whenever times are rough and I really need to reevaluate, I do a couple of basic things. Sometimes I read my promotion warrant. While this may sound corny to some, it reminds me of who I am and what I represent. By reading the words aloud it takes me back to the beginning when things were new. Another special ritual that I can participate in daily is to step outside my hatch during morning or evening colors. I salute, listen, watch our flag, and remember the reason I am a Marine.

Are you going through a "Marine Corps slump?" Has some of the gold lost its glitter? Maybe you don't feel like you did on the morning of graduation as you left boot camp; I understand. However, the ways of overcoming your personal slump are endless and very similar. Each is related to getting back to basics and plugging into the power source. Make a list this week of all of the things that cause you to feel like a Marine. Post the list somewhere and do these things throughout the week.

Be proud and be a Marine, you earned it.

Semper Fi.

Master GySgt. Billy Stewart

10. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

you shouldn't have done that, it's not your place.

11. Accord

Accord New Member

I thought the article might help him since the author basically wrote it specifically for Marines who are losing motivation and whatnot, I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything by posting it, the last thing I want to do is piss off the Marines on here. If you want me to delete it I will.

12. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

"Maybe you are not currently deployed and feel left out."

yeah that's it :rofl:

13. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

:rofl: that article just seems like a joke

go visit a place with marine historical significance and you'll be instantly motivated :rofl:

14. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Do I even need to comment in this thread?

15. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

Maybe he should of just wents nuts and got a med discharge :)

16. Accord

Accord New Member

:bowdown:

17. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

A second cause for a slump is that you may not be plugged into the proper source. What does that mean? Just as a great coach and teammates develop a great athlete, Marines must be around strong leaders and fellow Marines. Leathernecks of this caliber will by default bring out the best in any Marine and foster an atmosphere of motivation and esprit de corps. This will in turn motivate a Marine to just "be a Marine." If second-rate performance and standards surround a Marine, maintaining a high level of motivation will be challenging to say the least. It is hard to be a Marine when those around you do not set the stage to do so. My teachers used to tell me, if you hang around with trash, you'll end up at the garbage dump. This is a simple yet true statement that takes me into my next point. Always associate with good Marines. If you find yourself not feeling like a Marine, take a look at who you're hanging around with. You might find that they are not living up to Marine expectations. Remember dirt rubs off. Check what source you're plugged into and if need be, find a new outlet or wash the dirt off.

OMG, i swear to god this is the cause of my slump.

18. Accord

Accord New Member

Really? So the article I posted actually helped?

:bowdown:

19. STFU

STFU OT Supporter

Weak