SRS suggestions.. ?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by robz, Sep 14, 2005.

1. robz

robz OT Supporter

Okay well im 21 years old, and for about 2 years or so now, I been semi depressed. I honestly don’t know why, but i just keep pushing friends away and away from me. Also for about a year now, well I started to sorta resort to cutting my wrist here and there when times get real bad to let the pain out. I don’t consider that a big deal, but well I was talking to my ex, and she claims that I really need to get some help to stop. I think that it was cause of that why we really broke up, cuase everything was okay, but when she moved away from college, i started to get the lonely feeling and then i just started to get blah and started to push her away.

So i know i really need to probably get some help, and talk to a phyc or something, but im just really scared to tell the parents. I really think its going to kill my mom.. but i don’t know what to do..

..suggestions on how to talk to my mom or parents.. or should I just let it be and give it time and hope that like the blahness goes away, cuase it does.. its like comes and goes..

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I would definitely consult professional help. Go to the student health building and see if there is someone there you can talk to. I don't have any experience with cutting, but some people in this forum do. Do you use drugs and/or drink? You may not need to tell your mom this instant, talk to the psyc. first. Your mom would probably want you to get help if you were having trouble.

Consider posting in this in The Asylum as well, if you have not already done so.

3. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

honestly thats the last place I would want to send anybody... that place is a clusterfuck when it comes to a lot of things

4. Demon Of Dreams

Semi Depressed? Or full on depressed to the point where shit does not get better even if you try, because you know its a halfassed try in the first place. I did that around your age... and the cutting thing, well, definitely experienced in that one as well.

To those of us who do it, we don't think its a big deal, because its our body, and it is a good release of some pain because it takes you to a physical level and you can understand it quite well. You don't need help to stop the cutting, you need help to sort your thoughts and get your shit back on track. Once you do that, the cutting goes away automatically. When your mental state is poor enough to cause you to resort to a physical release, there is no direct help for what you do to yourself. I learned that the hard way, you have to work on yourself inside out, its the only way to truly overcome it. While you're working, things will be hard, you just tell yourself when you pick up that knife, that you cannot do it or you're back to sqaure one. Every time you cut yourself after you start the steps to clearing your head and getting your life on track, you have to start over, because it means you missed something along the way and you need to confront it and deal with it. You'll learn quickly that the physical harm is not a good training tool and you'll be better for it.

Tell your parents you need help, they love you, and if they realize that its gotten to the point where you're causing yourself physical harm, they will do all they can to help. They won't freak out or disown you, they won't treat you like shit... they'll do whatever they can.

Don't hide things like that from your parents, the more they know earlier in your life the better they'll learn to deal with it, accept it and understand it.

Talk to a counsellor at school, they may help too...
    Just don't be afraid to use your parents, they're your greatest tools in life sometimes

5. robz

robz OT Supporter

you know what im most afraid about in all this, its not the fact that I know I probably should talk to someone about this and get help, or its not the fact that I cut - cause honestly I don’t consider that a big deal, some people cry, others yell and scream, i cut, that’s how I see it. But the main thing that im super scared about is the fact that well i know once I let this out people are going to act different towards me. I really don’t want sympathy or anything. i don’t know..

thanks though

6. Demon Of Dreams

well you act differently to people now so fair is fair...

however, you won't get sympathy, you'll get the help you need, and usually they'll treat you like they would any other day.

the fact that you're admitting you need help, especially to a parent, is a strength not many people can find within themselves...

the cutting isn't really the big deal about it, its what causes it to happen... I'm a cutter and I can give you any number of reasons why I did it and why I enjoy it, but truth be told, as much as I enjoy it, when I finally got my head on straight, I stopped just because I knew I needed to be healthy... Also why I'll have 4 years clean next month, because I need to be healthy.

Will I do it again? Sure, but not for those reasons... and I can get the same feeling from a tattoo or something else as well...