Suggestions to Re-Network My House

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by james99654, Apr 18, 2005.

1. james99654

james99654 New Member

In my house, we have a lot of CAT5 outlets and my dad's and my computer running on the network 24/7. We just recently had a lot of trouble with the router and our DSL connection and it flat boggled me.

We ended up ditching our Linksys router and going with a new D-Link. And now we had to switch back to the Linksys and made the D-Link a switch. And now the DHCP is all messed up even though both of the computers have the same settings.

What other ways can we network the house to make it more rock solid and dependable? My dad wants to create a webserver firewalled and everything but I feel that the DSL connection would slow down too much and it would become extremely laggy. Thus forcing us to upgrade to the 3 mbps DSL. Not that I'm complaining but even that would slow down and were back to where we started.

Any suggestions?

I've been able to get the network back up and running all the time it just takes time and gets very tiresome. Any help would be appreciated.

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

well your upstream rate is probably going to make web serving suck, if it is even permitted by your isp.

3. james99654

james99654 New Member

Yeah, I'm not too sure what we can do here. And we thoght that it could be viruses and stuff that could be messing up the network and it wasn't. Routers just aren't goin' our way these days. Right now it's up and running, just a little shaky at times.

4. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

In my house, my partners' house, and all the clients I've set up networks for, I've never used anything but Linksys. I did have a router fail on me recently (luckily, it was mine, and didn't cause any clients' problems).

Usually when my system gets bogged down, I usually just shut down all the PCs, power cycle the modem and router, and everything works fine for a month or so. I always bring up the modem, router, then computers in that order. I've never had a problem with the network running after a reset and power cycle, which does indeed take a while with 7 computers, a modem, a router, and a switch in the network.

5. Mark

Mark Guest

Did you turn off DHCP on one of the routers? Two DHCP servers on a network don't really work together unless they are synced together as master/slave.

6. james99654

james99654 New Member

I think I did but I'll have to double check that.

Thanks, DaIce ill try that the next time that it gets messed up

7. jvblackxj

jvblackxj Guest