Suggestions on wireless router

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I am looking to get a wireless setup to my existing cable connection in my place before I get an XBOX 360. I just don't want to drop $200 on an Airport if I don't have to. But I don't know what wireless routers have drivers for a Mac and which don't.

Anyone here using a wireless router they set up initially and secured easily on their Macs without any issues?

2. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

Linksys WRT54G. Works awesome and is easy to configure. I didn't need to install any drivers.

3. The router won't need drivers. A wireless card will.

4. Gothamist

Gothamist New Member

point

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

How do you secure the base station and network then?

Last year I had a Microsoft Wireless router for my Desktop PC and Dell Notebook. The router didn't work without the software installed. The software was Windows compatable only. When I got my Mac, I couldn't change the passwords or adjust the security settings on my PowerMac at all. The only place I could do it was on my then PC. Since then, I am all Apple computers only and that router is gone.

Time for a new router and I don't want to run into the same problem again.

6. clog

Type in the ip adress of the router... that will take you into it's configuration.

7. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Looks reasonably priced. Do you have your network secured with passwords or key codes so there isn't leaching on it? Lastly, it looks like it can stand on it's side. Is that so? Space is also an issue for me.

8. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Ahhhh. Thanks :cool:

9. clog

It could stand on its side... the only thing that comes to mind when you say that are the antennas. but you can rotate them and make them properly fit... I'm not sure how crammed you will be, but the signal is crazy strong (at least on mine), so that should not be a problem.

My network is secured for sure, but no passwords howerver :o I have a mac filter enabled (only allows whatever mac adresses I specify). I have a wep (128bit) key in place (though I should probabily switch to WPA), and the SSID is not broadcast. I also keep a close eye on the incoming and outgoing log. That's about it :dunno:

10. clog

Oh also... that stock IP adress that comes with the router, I think it is 192.168.1.1 for Linksys, make sure you change that the minute you plug that sucker in (well maybe nat that soon, but soon enough). Also, go and change the admin password asap as well. I think the default credentials are : username: (blank), password: admin. Changing those should be a priority.

11. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I use the same wireless router and it works great! haven't had a problem in the 18 months i've owned it. i've also never protected it. its pretty much a free for all!

oh, and why would you change the stock IP address?

12. clog

You just leave yours open to anyone? :ugh:

You change the IP adress so that your neighbors won't get in there and totally take your network over. Everyone with bad intentions knows the default IPs of most routers, so you are less prone to any kinds of attacks if change it.

13. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

d-link super g mimo... got it for around 50 from costco, has worked great for me in my dorm.

14. clog

Here's something crazy... with what I said in posts 9 and 10, I just installed a version of Linux on my windows laptop, and when I opened up the wifi utility... I was able to see that there was a network in range (100% stregth, and I figured it was mine). I tried to connect to it, and I did... didnt ask for any kind of WEP key or anything.

At this point I was scared.. so I check the IP of my laptop, and surely enough it's one of the only 4 IPs that my router is allowed to assign. How the fuck did that happen with my security in place? I know the MAC filter has not failed, because the mac adress of the wireless NIC hasn't changed. What worries me, is how the hell does the wifi utility pick up my signal, then proceed to connect WITHOUT me entering any kind of wep key anywhere.

Just thought I would slide that by you guys :hs:

15. Halon X

Halon X New Member

I use a DLink DI-524 and it works great. Costs about $60 at Best Buy and has a built in 4 port switch which is nice for connecting a desktop or NAS that might not have wireless capability. The 525 uses a web interface for configuration.

If all your computers are wireless, you might consider the Airport Express. You can pick up referbished units for $99 online at the Apple Store. The Express uses a handly little application to manage and configure the router.

I use 128-bit WEP for security as my Tivo's don't support WPA (WPA is stronger). I'm not sure what security options the Xbox 360 will have available.

16. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i've been using this router for 1.5 years and a netgear before that for about 2 years and never had a problem. I may secure it sometime soon but its never been an issue, especially after living in an apartment complex for 3 years.