Suggestions on speakers/amp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ledzep73, Jul 20, 2005.

1. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Ive been trying to find a good amp thats not going to cost an arm and a leg. Ive got two 10w3's, so I need 500W @ 4 ohms. I was thinking maybe something like this: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14131

I would love to get a JL 500/1, but I don't want to spend that extra 100 bucks. Staying under 400 bucks, what options are there for 500W @ 4 ohms?

I also need to get some new front speakers. I have a halfway decent memphis 4-channel amp, it is 55W x 4 RMS (Im pretty sure at least, I need to check on that). Im just going to use it untill I can get a better amp. I don't want to spend over 400 on them, and I don't mind eBay. I was thinking about Boston Pro's, but Id like to hear what you all think might be a better option.

Thanks for all the help.

**edit** I need 5.25 front speakers, sorry.

2. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

you should get a eD 9.1

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=4&pid=6&tab=Specs&cur=USD

does 450w @ 4 ohms and is probably pretty underrated, these big class D amps only hit their 90% effciency ratings at 4 ohm loads so it will be easier on your alt then any other amp for now and if you ever wanna step up your game you only have to upgrade your subs and not the amp, they have a sale right now amp is $300 shipped

3. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Thats not a bad amp, but I need more power than that, 500 is a minimum. I don't want my amp to start clipping and then kill my subs, that would suck ass. I think I am going to get that amp, or a hifonics one.

4. DaddyThirdLeg

your amp won't clip unless you make it and you would never be able to hear an audible difference between 450 and 500 watts

5. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

no, you won't hear a difference, but I just want 500 :p And an amp will clip if you turn it up all the way, and thats not good. I just don't want to risk it.

6. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

just get the 9.1 it's top notch

7. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I understand wanting just that "even" number of 500. As far as speakers go, the Boston Pros certainly are quality speakers. You probably could find Boston Z's for around $400 off eBay though. Do you know if you like the sound of metal or paper drivers? I found out that in general I like soft dome tweeters and paper/polypropelene/etc woofers over titanium tweets and aluminum woofers. This is very important in your decision. If you do like a brighter sound, check out MB Quart. I think their reference line is in the price range. I don't know much about them, but CDT get good reviews. I really like my Polk MM6's, they aren't sold anymore, and can be had for a decent price on eBay. The problem though (just realized) is they are 6.75" drivers. Hm. Maybe something from the Focal polyglass or new k2 line?

8. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Im going to go up to some audio shop in Indiana while Im up there tomorow, and they carrt CDT and MB Quart. It will be cool to listen to them and then find a cheaper place online :p I like metal tweeters really, it just sounds alot crisper I think. If I can find Z's that arn't 4' and a few years old on eBay for 400 bucks, I would get them in an instant.

Im lookin at a few amps right now, this amp, this one, and this. Would the hifonics amp's be able to push subs? It does say 600W x1 @4ohms, so I guess it would :dunno: And do you think that it is worth the 80 bucks more for the bigger amp?

**Edit** I just realized the Hifonics ZX600 is the same proce as the ZX7500, so I think I might hafta get the bigger badder one if its the same price :p

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  9. DaddyThirdLeg

hifonics amps are known to be overrated, their 1000 watt model does 850-900 watts and their 1500 watt model only does 1300 watts, so take their ratings for what they are worth, compared to a reputable company

10. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Yeah, I have herd that before, but 250 bucks is cheap. I would rather get a JL 300/2 and a 500/1... but they are a bit out of my price range, so I will have to do without. I was lookin on ebay for some speakers, and I saw this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5791670270&category=32819&rd=1 I havn't herd any good things, or bad things, about their speakers, only that their amps arn't bad, but not the best. Thats something I can afford, and probally isn't to bad. I could buy Pro's for a few more bucks and I already know I like how they sound, or get the PG's, that are suposed to be more expensive and hope they sound better.

11. Arc

Arc New Member

I've never heard those. I would recommend the Pro's i listened to them yesterday and they sound great. I am currently going through the issue of what components to get.. I just ordered a set of MB Quart PSD612's..hope they sound as good as the Pros.

12. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I have been reading some reviews on them from other sites (like cardomain) and they seem to be getting good reviews. Im sure they won't sound bad, and 300 bucks isn't that bad. Im thinking about this amp http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13115 to power them. I was thinking I might get two of those amps actually, one for the subs, one for the front stage. I know thats alot more power than I need for my subs, but I plan to get some w6's sometime, or something along the lines of that.

13. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Alright, I still need a bit of help deciding what amp for my front stage. Im going to order Boston Pro's on Friday when I get paid. JL 300/2 for 300 bucks sounds good, but if there is something better for say $50-$75 more, I would get that. Any ideas?

14. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

If you haven't found a subwoofer amp yet, you should look into Digital Designs. www.ddaudio.com is the site. They have a C1 amplifier that will do 320x1 @ 4ohms very easily. Click here for info on the C4 amp, which is the 4channel version of the C1. These amps run ~ $350.

US amps would also be a great line to look at. They have an affordable I/S 2200 that puts out 700x1 @ 4 ohm and that runs about ~ $450. www.usamps.com

If you can't find a dealer, just PM me. I might be able to check around Houston for you.

15. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

The US Amps I/S line also carries a I/S 2150 amp that does 200watts per channel @ 4 ohms. I picked one up last week from a local dealer for $330 for my girl's Honda Accord. Its an awesome amp.

Oh, and sorry about the slow posting. My compaq 300mhz PII just can't cut it anymore :wtc: