Suggestions on New Speakers...Need Car Audio Help...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Battousai, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Battousai

Battousai New Member

Hey guys,

My car audio is SAD! All of my speakers are blown and its time to get them replaced.

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo...and my budget is around $500 bucks.

Yes...going SMALL first. I am really goot at home/computer audio...
    (Home Audio=PSB Speakers+Sub.. NAD Amps) (Klipsch computer THX speakers)

Okay, so I walked into Best Buy and Circuit City and looked at two different speakers. Infinity and Eclipse. Alpine really didnt impress me

I really liked the sound of both, but unsure of how it would sound in the car. I am thinking the Infinity might be better, but the guys seemed to really talk a lot about the Eclipse.

Anyways, models numbers

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Eclipse-6-1-2-3-Way-Coaxial-Speaker-SE8365-/sem/rpsm/oid/146006/catOid/-13092/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7730226&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03076&id=1140392384625

Not sure about the difference about the SI S for the Infinity other than Power. Anybody understand that better?

As far as head units go, there was a nice Sony one at Circuit City, and Besty Buy. Dont want anything fancy...just CD/FM/AM/Sat/MP3/ And room for amp for my speakers maybe down the road later.

I would like to get subs, but not enough money! So just speakers for now.

If you guys have any suggestions, or other recommendations please let me know. I am going to look at some more companies, but wanted to get some advice.

Thanks Guys

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I didn't check out your links, so sorry if I point something out that you have covered.

If you are buying separate pieces parts for your speakers, you have
    to make sure your crossover slopes match.

I like Infinity car woofers. They offer very high quality sound for the price.
    But they typically have very small frequency ranges. (as do most true subs)
    What this means is that you have to limit your selection for midrange drivers
    to those that can go down to a couple of hundred hertz or so.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

step 1) dont buy anything from BB or CC

www.woofersetc.com
    www.pricegrabber.com

for a head unit i strongly recommend in getting something that isnt a sony, sony=bad, to sum it up quick.

Alpine
    Panasonic
    Pioneer

4. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

x2.

Also, those eclipse's... at least those in particular (lowest line coaxials)... sound like shit. We have them on display on our wall.

If you're stuck on coaxials, I recommend Pioneer REV's... should also be on display at a local CC so you can take a listen. ;)

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i listened to the rev's at our local radio shack(it's not a corprate store) here a couple weeks ago... and i was not really that impressed, for as much as you have plugged them here in the past. :dunno:

6. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Not supposed to be "impressive", maybe only when compared to other chain brand offerings.

They're solid coax's that can be had for under $100shipped. Nothing more, nothing less.

Eh. :sadwavey: :hsd: :bigthumb:

7. twistid

i always figured they were a decent speaker, but you had me thinking they were going to be the end all be all... i was very disappointed, especially since the powerbass coax's sounded better in their board... hell i like the alpine type-s coax's in our board better.

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

If you're going to shop at CC, you might as well go with something solid that works well off of radio power. I'd run some kicker coaxs. Work well off radio, better off amp, and don't really sound bad for the money (usually around $100). Also, avoid Sony car stuff like the plague. I'd look into Kenwood (preferably Excelon line) or Pioneer (Premier). You can usually get into those brand upper lines for around $250 entry level, that will give you MP3, as well as 3 RCA outs, some form of EQ/Crossover ability, DSP (if you want it, though I doubt anyone here will recommend it) and a remote. That's quite a bit for your money IMO. You can go with Alpine, and I'm sure some will recommend that, but I don't really feel that Alpine has the most for your money. Also, CC now carries Eclipse, but I am not real familiar with the line-up, so I can't recommend one. I would also advise that you check out your local car stereo shop as well. Often times, prices are comparable to the Big Box stores, with better service, more knowledge, and service after the sale. Shop around, you don't have to settle for CC or BB.

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I'm also glad to see everyone playing nice and not firing off the usual "OMFG, why would you do anything but highest of the high end components, with no rear speakers and a Soundsplinter RL-piii3000gtxlrwrxgti!!!!!!!11111one" :wavey:

10. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Oh wow.

Something had to be set-up or EQ'd wrong then.

I've done QUITE a few installs with them...

Also in doors prepped like:
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95925

Even on our wall, they extend low, tonality is good, and high end isn't harsh at all. I think they hand the Type-R coax's their ass.

Were they amped or off of a HU?

Oh well, I think they're solid coax's... definitely better than the normal MTX, Infinity, Polk, Kicker, Alpine coax's offered at local chain stores. Good for the price, good for a coax, nothing more... and certainly not a benchmark of any sort.

:wiggle:

11. twistid

they were decent sounding, but i expected more... and the fact that the powerbass sounded better, impressed me more... who knows if it's just the install in the board, this is a radio shack remember... but it did keep us from selling them.

12. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Ha ha, indeed.

We are both talking about these correct?
    http://www.acephotodigital.com/sc/r...asp?id=964599727&rf=froogle&dfdate=06_05_2006

13. twistid