Suggestions on home server...need VMs for Exchange, SQL, etc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PlatinumX, Apr 25, 2010.

1. PlatinumX

PlatinumX OT Supporter

Few months ago I made a switch over to a different company and new position and lost access to the great testing environment I had being a sys admin in my previous role.

I have a fairly good laptop right now but not one that can handle multiple VMs for testing/learning such as Exchange 2010, SQL, AD, etc. Any suggestions on how to get started building something out at home, in terms of a server, switches, etc?

Feels like my technical skills have declined pretty drastically in the last 6 months :hs:

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

A dual core that has VT-x with a good amount of RAM will do the job just fine

3. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Yeah, you really don't need much to run a home server. Should just be a decent CPU, plenty of RAM, and if you need to transfer a lot of data, a gigabit NIC.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i run a couple of vms on my home server for testing/troubleshooting/learning purposes

my server is nothing major, just an e2200 with 4gb ram, runs fine despite no hardware vm control

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

how many vm's do you plan to run at the same time? i notice on a home machine/work pc, the more spindles you have the better the i/o of course. anything more than 3 vm's all doing something on one sata drive kinda bogs down the machine, with vmware server or virtualbox.

i have a sata mirror for my work pc and it handles multiple 3-5 vm's just fine.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yeah, the trick is to only work on one image at a time - I thought I'd be smart and multitask and install two things at the same time :uh: :rofl:

7. PlatinumX

PlatinumX OT Supporter

I'm looking to get a refurb Dell PE T100 or something similar. In my experience, Exchange and SQL have been pretty resource intensive, thought I'd see if anyone has these running at home and what kind of setup they have

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

4GB and dual cores is the bare minimum to run VMs. If I wanted to run more than one, I'd go for quad-core (or dual-quad core :naughty:) and at least 8GB of RAM. In fact, that's what my VM servers at work use.

VMware ESXi Server is free and it only uses 32MB of memory. Don't bother running VMs on top of another operating system like Windows, it's just a waste of resources.

Once you virtualize, you'll never go back. The flexibility of being able to set up a new machine whenever you need one, without having to buy any extra hardware, will make you feel like you've got superpowers. (okay, maybe not superpowers, but definitely regular powers.)

9. ge0

ge0 New Member

See if you can find a poweredge for cheap.. I see tehm going for $299 with quad core xenons and shit all the time

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'm running a Q6600 with 8GB of RAM in it, runs Server 2008 R2 just fine with some Hyper-V machines on top of it.

11. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

just finished setting up my new desktop at work, i7 860, 8GB DDR3, two 640 two platter SATA, pos GTS240. win7 host with fedora and solaris x64 vbox vm's and it is running beautifully on my two sun lcds.

getting rid of an old dell and old sparc for this.