Suggestions needed for car computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RyeLou, Mar 1, 2009.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I need something I can leave in the glove box of my car, so size is an issue. It has to run windows as well. I'd be using it 90% of the time for just the purpose I'll list below, so although wi-fi and other things would be nice, they certainly aren't necessary. It does not have to be new...if I can find a used one of whatever you suggest for cheaper, great.

I'm going to tune my car on both pump gas and E85. The issue is the tunes will be very different and I need something windows based to run the program that allows me to connect between a USB port and the OBDII port on my car. I'd love to just have a windows mobile based phone and use that, but for obvious reasons that won't work.

I have an EEEPC already actually. And I've considered using that. I think it would actually work well if I can load windows onto it.

Thoughts?

2. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

How about a mac mini? I'd sell you a nice one...

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'd just use the netbook, unless you're specifically wanting to hack up the innards of your dash or drill holes to mount a display, keyboard/mouse, etc.

I too do custom tuning that I have to swap out periodically (HP Tuners) and I have a Lenovo S10 netbook I carry with me to do it on. In fact, my S10 fits perfectly in the center console of my vehicle so I can just stash it there if I know I'll be needing to swap calibrations.

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I guess I wasn't quite clear exactly what I'm looking for. I do need something like a laptop or something similar with a screen. I worded what I asked for pretty poorly. I'm not looking for just the computer portion.

Won't be doing any of that. I'm looking for something that would be okay to just leave in the glove box as opposed to carrying it in/out of the house. That's why I'd prefer something inexpensive in case it gets stolen or broke. I don't know if it would be okay to leave something like a flash drive in the glove box year round though. Michigan winters can be pretty cold..

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Mini ITX; add a power inverter, input device, LCD, etc. But I imagine that even the most inexpensive system would cost as much or more than a netbook or PDA. Check out mp3car.com

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ditto on mp3car.com. There is plenty of info over there... I tossed around the idea of putting a PC in my Jeep, but it would just turn out too expensive.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

They don't ship those things in heated trucks you know, and I'm pretty sure they deliver to michigan in february.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Definitely go with the eeePC. Electronics don't care how cold they are; they like being cold. The only possible issue is the LCD might be sluggish in cold weather, but it won't hurt anything.