TAT suggestions for possible "coverup"

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by cheltron, Aug 21, 2006.

1. cheltron

cheltron Active Member

a couple years ago i went out and got 2 tattoos on my inner biceps, sort of in a rush... my cousin was killed in a car accident and as a spur of the moment thing i booked an appointment for about a week later. (it was an apprentice at a local shop, thats why there was such a short wait)

i don't regret getting them at all, i just want to make them look better somehow. when i saw how shitty they turned out i decided not to go back and get any fill/shading done and i'm just now getting around to fixing them up. what i'm looking for are some suggestions on what i could do with them, i want to whip some stuff up in photoshop that i could bring to another artist as a guideline.

i want to keep the same general idea, but i'm open to other ideas as well as long as its pertinent to a memorial for my cousin in some way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not sure if you can make it out in the pictures, but there are several lines that from what i understand are "blown out" (lines that are supposed to be skinny turned out fat) and from what i can tell they aren't even in size on my left and right arms either. i have seen some of the artists work on my friends though, and he is doing great things now. nonetheless, i think i'll take my business elsewhere for the repairs :hs:

(if it's not obvious, the right arm says "R I P" and the left says "L H B", my cousins initials)

anyways, thanks in advance for any ideas you guys can shoot at me :wiggle:

2. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

just get em redone with fresh ink. they just look a little faded. if you get a pro (instead of an apprentice) he could probably just go over the lines again and clean it up, maybe fill it in with some color. Or you could just cover it up with a half sleeve of just about anything.

3. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

That doesn't look liek it's be hard to clean up and turn into something better. :dunno: i'm not a tattoo artists but a good one could probaby make the letters look a little nicer with some more black and bit of color, maybe make a sleeve out of it..

4. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

Even without closer pics you can see ghosting and lots of blown out lines. That apprentice should not have been tattooing customers yet. You could have the letters done solid black. They should clean up pretty nice.

5. cheltron

cheltron Active Member

thats definitely an option (to get a half sleeve) i'd like to stay above the elbow but i need some ideas with what i can cover them up with (in terms of a sleeve) its important to me that i still have something for my cousin in it, but other than that i don't really have any ideas.

i could get them gone over again, but to tell you the truth i'm not crazy about the lettering either, it has crossed my mind to get them gone over with another font but i'm yet to find one that covers up the old letters nicely without being way too big (i won't mind getting a half sleeve, but i don't want to have just some bigass letters covering half my arm)

if i went the sleeve route, i can only cover up black with black right? i've always liked black work with a lot of shading in it, but i figure if i don't get a solid block overtop of the lettering you'll be able to see it still?

6. cheltron

cheltron Active Member

i really like the style that these were done in (http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2667922) i'm not personally into the whole dragon/koi fish thing but i really admire the way those look... my concern is that i would get something amazing like that done and still be able to see the lettering through the shading.

btw thanks so much for the replies and your ideas guys, keep em coming :cool:

7. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

I think a good artist can really work with what you have and change it a fair bit.... though It's probably goign to take a fair bit of black to change that.... i dunno. go consult with a few tattoo artists and see.

8. cheltron

cheltron Active Member

:wavey: thanks again, i guess that should be my first plan of action is to go and see what they think they can do.

i just had an idea though (for one side at least)

[​IMG]

i've had that pic saved for a while because i really liked how it was done, now i'm thinking i'd like to have one side appear as if it was laying in a rosebush, with the roses all around on my inner arm and stems/thorns/leaves filling in between them, i'd still want to get the actual lettering redone in a different style but at least i could get any straggling pieces of the letters covered up with something in black. now for the other arm...

9. jerseygirl0131

jerseygirl0131 New Member

The colors are amazing on that tat. Nice.