Suggestions for new series to read

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by danromboj, Sep 27, 2004.

1. danromboj

danromboj New Member

I have read quite a few series and am caught up with all my current "in progress" works.

George R. R. Martin is Great, but difficult to reread.
    Robert Jordan is Starting to bog down.
    Terry Goodkind could have difficulty with his blundering Hero.

Any other suggestions for series and or "One Shots" within this broad range of quality would be appreciated.

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Asimov's Foundation or Robots series.
    Orson Scott Card's Ender series.
    Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series is a little wacko, but entertaining.
    *cough*Lord of the Rings*cough*
    C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia.

3. Joe_Cool

Oh, and of course Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

4. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series and then his Kha'avren Romances series (picture the Three Musketeers in his fantasy world).

Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry (trilogy). Awesome fantasy series about a group of college students who cross over into a fantasy world just as the big evil wakes up.

Mat Stover's Heroes Die novel. he's a really gritty author with an anti-hero who is an assassin.

David Gemmel's Drenai series starting with Legend. It's a really fun series that doesn't take a whole lot of work like Jordan and Martin's books do. I consider them 'Brain Candy.'

Terry Brook's Shannara Series: starting with the Sword of Shanara. Another cornerstone of epic fantasy.

David Edding's Belgariad series. Starting with the Pawn of Prophacy (although you may be able to get all 5 books in 2 large trade paper compilations). Another classic fantasy series. They're a bit simple, but Edding's does witty banter better than almost anyone.

5. danromboj

danromboj New Member

Will look into these. Have read a few Taltos books, but had forgotten about them. Thank you

6. danromboj

danromboj New Member

Own them, They are worth reading. Just not in the mood to reread them. I read extensively, and unfortunately, way too fast. That's why I'm looking for additional subject matter. You may want to look into C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy

7. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

Try the Disc World Series by Terrie pratchett. there's 20 something books, all taking place within the same world (and sharing the same characters) but they are meant to be read as stand alone books pretty much. though if you read it from the beginning of the series you get to see how the world changes over time.

there are quite a few "one-shot" characters- main characters that are only in one novel. and there are several "legends" like Rincewind the wizzard, Cohen the barbarian (soon to retire), Carrot, commander Vimes of the city watch, and several others that I can't seem to recall. Aslo there are a few side projects that he's done that have character refferences to the disc world.

8. danromboj

danromboj New Member

The whole Discworld setting actually seems to have several series in it, the Wizards, the Witches, the Watch, and then there are a few oddball volumes.

9. Acesn8s

If you're familier with the Taltos series definately look at the Phoenix Guards (it's the 1st book in the Kha'avren romances).

Gemmell and Eddings books can be consumed in about 10 hours. they make for easy and quick reading. A great way to escape for a while.

I think of all the authors I listed Guy Gavriel Kay is the most talented. He has a bunch of single shot novels and anothe series or two floating around. The first book in the Fionavar tapestry is called the Summer Tree.

Oh, you can also look at Raymond Fiest's Riftwar series. It starts with Magician: Apprentice.

10. Joe_Cool

Have you read Ringworld and its sequels?

11. danromboj

danromboj New Member

Niven is good, the Integral trees was enjoyable, I may need to go find a copy

12. Hammer

Hammer Guest

look into the cs lewis palandria series

that might not be the correct name, but its about outer space

13. Joe_Cool

Actually, my favorite Niven book was The Mote in God's Eye, with Jerry Pournelle. Awesome book, and I think there were a couple of sequels.

14. Acesn8s

I really like the Dream Park novels Niven wrote with Barnes.

15. danromboj

danromboj New Member

Tad williams did an excellent job with the elder race in that series. I also very much enjoyed the start of the Otherworld, or Otherland series, but the end was a tedious read at best.

16. danromboj

danromboj New Member

Oh, and Melaney Rawn, has two extremely good series with "The ruins of Ambrai" and her Sunrunner series, 6 monster books following 2 - 3 generations

17. Acesn8s

I tried reading her 1st Sunrunner novel back in high school. I put it down because of the rape sceen (same with Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series). I wasn't ready to handle something like back then.

I'll have to pick up the series (Rawn's) again.

18. Callahan421

Callahan421 Guest

Zelazny's 'Amber' series (9 books)
    Joel Rosenberg's "Guardians of the Flame" series (9-10 books)
    Thieves' World series (various authors)

19. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

oh, I'll add on the Hyperion series (Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, the Rise of Endymion) by Dan Simmons. if you've ever had to read the old tale "The cantebury tales" you'll notice a LOT of parallelism in the 1st book to the pilgrimage tales. essentially it's a huge religious parable about the 2nd coming of christ, but it's done in such a non-religious context, that I didn't even realize that was what it was until the end of the last book. It also makes you question "What/Who is god?" through the idea of our creation of AI (does that make us gods to the AIs?). very excellent read.

20. Acesn8s

Are the Thieves' World novels even in print anymore?

21. danromboj

danromboj New Member

Thieves world isn't that hard to find, you just have to know where the used bookstores are. The Guardians of the Flame is a great series, but the last few books weren't up to the promise of the opening 5. I liked all of the Amber series, the Pattern and the Logrus are interesting concepts.

I will look into Niven's work.

22. Acesn8s

I think Joel Rosenberg has been playing around with Karl's possible survival of the explosion for too many years now. Not a book goes by where he doesn't dangle that concept in front of us.

23. danromboj

danromboj New Member

True, and the series has lost the Edge it had in the earlier books. It's just another fantasy setting now. There isn't the same possibility and desire to go home as there was in the earlier books.

24. Acesn8s

Agreed, plus Rosenberg doesn't politics that well. When it was the group vs. the Slavers guild it was exciting. The various duchies battling for power isn't nearly as great. Plus I'm kinda thrown off by Rosenberg adapting older historical fiction into his fantasy world. Steven Brust already did that (and much better in my opinion.

25. Callahan421

Callahan421 Guest

He has stated repeatedly and vehemently on slovotsky's laws (the website/forum dedicated to his work) that Karl is not coming back