Suggestions for my obese brother to lose weight

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ww_Crimson, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

My brother is only 12 years old and extremely obese. I'm not going to get into parenting issues, he's lived with my mom his whole life who's probably the epitome of shitty parent. I don't know how tall he is, but I'd venture to say about 5'2" and 250 pounds.

He's living at my house now but its incredibly hard to talk to him about losing weight because of his age. Working on helping him change what he eats, but what are some easier exercise that would help spur weight loss? Running seems out of the question because after 20 seconds he's completely winded.

2. :|

:| Guest

Change the diet first, that's the most important because it'll affect how he eats in the future as well...

Maybe try to get him into some sports or something? I bet he's pretty sedentry

3. Plan B

Plan B New Member

At that age Diet is key. Get him to change the way he eats, it'll go a long way.

4. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

tell him no female will ever let him go balls deep until he loses the flab

5. :|

thats why some of the fatties in my grade started losing weight

they had hideous faces anyways so it was kinda a lost cause

6. Jcrash

Jcrash 93.till.infinity-ing

Don't force him to eat foods. I'm in the same situation with my sister in law (also 12) with an extremely shitty diet. Every other day I cook a delicious smelling nutritional dish and ask her to help me by seeing if it tastes ok. Of course she doesn't know what to taste but after its cooked she helps herself to a serving sometimes.

You have to gradually change their diet and eating habits I think thats the best way.

7. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

most important thing is diet and activity. start slow, at that age a drastic change will do nothing but make him want to leave and not want to talk to you any more.

ditch the processed foods in the house. Breads should be whole gains and fiberous. Protein is key... when you look at what he's eating, .5-.75 of the plate should be protein.

get him active. I dunno how old you are, but I'm assuming you don't have a lot of free time. take him outside, throw a ball around. take him to the gym. lead by example.

if he sees big brother busting his ass at the gym and making results he'll want to follow in your foot steps. start on basic lightweight exercises and some sort of cardio... even if its riding the bike for 20 minutes 4x a week.

or you could hand him a football and subscribe him to a BBW website.

8. :|

you could put some nausea causing chemicals in his junk food :rofl: animals have an extreme learned aversion to nausea causing food :mamoru:

9. :|

he's 12 though, he shouldn't be in a gym, he should be outside playing or something

10. NUDES

NUDES New Member

no.. plenty of 12 year olds go to the gym. there's nothing wrong with it.

the rest of your posts in this thread are all fail

11. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

:ugh: A 5'2 250lb 12 year old isnt going to be outside playing. 12 is a great age to start hitting the gym

12. :|

yeah but are they 5 feet tall and 250 pounds? :o

i dont think he'd have much fun in a gym setting if he can't even run for 20 seconds

and he's been raised to be the way he is...i don't really think he has the motivation nor does he want to change his body

just my opinion

13. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:rofl:

is that what your dad did for you?

14. NUDES

NUDES New Member

yes, please stop posting in this thread.. its all complete failure.

15. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

:rofl: basically

16. Drewski

Drewski New Member

he's gotta start sometime. better when he's a 12 year old 250 lb'er then when he's a 25 year old 400lb'er

like it was said, if he goes with his brother to the gym and see's him bust ass, that might be enough to get him going. its amazing what a little brotherly competition can do.

and he's more likely to stick with it if he's got somebody to do an activity with and who gives him positive reinforcement then if he just gets pushed into a sport or onto a team where eh doesn't know anybody and where he's more likely to get made fun of

17. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Thanks guys.. I'm working on helping him eat better but its a matter of someone controlling his diet when im not around. My parents say "oh it was just 1 rice krispy treat" and shit like that. Getting him active is going to be a huge challenge but once it stops raining so much I think it will be doable.

18. NUDES

NUDES New Member

oh dude you live 5 min from me, bring him to the 24 hr in concord ill beat his ass into shape lol

19. :|

well yeah you got a point...

they've been discussing phasing out team sports in high school PE classes because the bigger kids don't want to participate

20. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:werd:

how can parents not see what they are doing to their kids is wrong and going to cause lots of health problems down the road.

21. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

in for vids!

22. NUDES

NUDES New Member

in this county parents that have let their young kids get so fat that it causes serious health damage/death get prosecuted to the fullest extent, some parents be behind bars

23. 98dirtybird

98dirtybird OT Supporter

Be positive

24. :|

i'd bet most of the time the parents aren't that healthy either

they found an obesity gene in mice, aptly named obese...it caused them to grow to two times the regular bodyweight, but even then it could be controlled with diet and exercise, so it's not like a predisposition to retain fat is any sort of excuse

25. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

you serious? I've never heard of that.

I remember watching a special on like TLC or something about a girl who was like 5 years old and close to 200lbs. She was so fat she could no longer walk. :ugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.