Suggestions for Horror/Sci-Fi/Fantasy Novels?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by SolidRanger, Aug 16, 2009.

1. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

Hey guys. I've really gotten the reading bug for the last several months. I need some suggestions for good books. I usually read suspense novels but I would like to branch out into the Horror/Sci-Fi/Fantasy books.

Especially horror. Something really terrifying. I've heard good things about Clive Barker but I read the descriptions of his books and I wonder if I can wrap my head around them.

Any suggestions from these genres?

2. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson

3. TheOkapi

TheOkapi New Member

Horror; I'd say Lovecraft for the classic, unspeakable horror sort. Just about anything he did, really. Also, kinda horror/sci-fi is the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, starting with the Reality Dysfunction.
    Sci-Fi: Again, Peter F. Hamilton's The Commonwealth saga/Void Trilogy are fantastic. Epic in scope. far more advanced, and yet still concievable technology. Anything by Frederick Pohl is good, same with Phillip K. Dick.
    Fantasy: Malazan series by Steven Erikson. A Song of Ice and Fire by G.R.R. Martin.

Those are the things that have really stood out for me in the past few years.

4. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

patient zero: a joe ledger novel by jonathan maberry is badass. fucking badass.

pontypool changes everything by tony burgess is pretty good. very artsy. the movie they made out of it was fuckin kill.

5. Carlos The Elf

Carlos The Elf OT Supporter

I just got Red Mars, Green Mars, A Game Of Thrones, A Mote In God's Eye, and Dune Messiah at the library. Only cost a dollar.

6. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Horror... all I've ever read was 'Fear' by L. Ron Hubbard. Yes, the Scientology L. Ron Hubbard... but I was younger and this was before Scientology was in the spotlight. It was actually a freaky book... hard to explain without spoilers, but it worth checking out.

I haven't read much sci fi either, but I currently have a list of Sci Fi books to read... maybe you'd like one of them.

Neal Stephenson: "Anathem"
    William Gibson: "Neuromancer"
    Authur C. Clarke: "Childhood's End"
    Ian M. Banks: "Consider Phlebas"

and Fantasy... George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire > *

7. TheOkapi

TheOkapi New Member

Haven't read Malazan then, huh? :cool:

8. teamB_macro

teamB_macro New Member

yeah Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. you may also want to try The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester and Dune chronicles by Frank Herbert.

9. Catch 22

Catch 22 New Member

Stephen King: The Stand, It and basically anything else by him.
    Philip K Dick: My faves are Martian Time-Slip (quite creepy in places), The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, A Scanner Darkly and Time Out Of Joint.
    John Ajvide Lindqvist: Let The Right One In (a horror vampire novel that's very good, now also a film).

Don't go for GRRM's A Song Of Ice And Fire series. There are 4 books currently and he should have finished the latest book years ago but he's a fat fuck who spends all his time watching sport and attending conventions. His fans are practically begging him to finish the series before he dies like Robert Jordan did.

Robert Jordan: The Wheel of Time series (starts with Eye Of The World). This is a very long series and Jordan died before he could finish it, but another author (Brandon Sanderson) has taken the reigns and is finishing the last books. If you like epic fantasy with lots of magic and subplots give this a try.

10. I read a really good fantasy novel a ways back, and the detail in it is great. The adventure is always there also, and I agree with the review.

It is Scion of Cyador by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.

http://www.teresciaharvey.com/hea/reviews/scion_modesitt.html

11. tom37211

tom37211 New Member

I really loved The Foundation Trilogy back in the day.

12. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

I can't really think of any 'scary' horror books. I liked Cell by Stephen King and I also am a huge fan of Day by Day Armageddon.

As far as Sci-Fi goes, I highly suggest anything and everything by Robert A. Heinlein. Specifically I liked Stranger in a Strange Land, Time Enough for Love, I Will Fear No Evil, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. I'm also partial to Isaac Asimov's R Daneel Olivaw series.

When it comes to Fantasy, I'm a big fan of Dragonlance novels written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. The Legends trilogy is excellent, but I don't know if you'd really appreciate the characters if you haven't read the Chronicles trilogy first. Also their 7 book series (unrelated to Dragonlance) The Deathgate Cycle is highly enjoyable.

13. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

Perdido Street Station
    The Scar
    The Iron Council

A loosely connected trilogy by China Mieville.