Suggestions for comp build for parents

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by unrealii, Feb 9, 2010.

1. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

My parents are looking for me to build a new computer and upgrade from their win xp based AMD Athlon 3200+ computer I built for them many many years back. I've stopped keeping up with what's good.

Computer needs to be decently fast to run windows 7. No video editing or gaming. Just basic photo editing, office, web and whatever for my dad's investment software.

I was originally considering an AMD PII x4 910e, then I saw a performance comparison where the intel i5 750 seemed a better deal for the price/performance/power consumption. I live near a fry's and missed out on a i5 750 cpu + mobo combo for $200. I'm sure another deal will surface soon.

Otherwise today, I started looking at the amd PII x3 705e as that cpu seems pretty reasonably priced.

Essentially, just need a cpu which has a good balance of performance, power consumption and price. Whatcha got??

2. 7960

7960 New Member

why build it?

you can get a (fill in the blank...I'm currently a dell fan, but haven't always been) with win7 preloaded for $400 or so, including a 20" monitor

3. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Sadly, if that's all they need it for, you're definitely better off buying it prebuilt, like 7960 said. It's a lot cheaper if they don't need the performance.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

dell.com

delloutlet.com to save a bit more.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

6. thekraft

thekraft New Member

7. 7960

7960 New Member

his post said "No video editing or gaming. Just basic photo editing, office, web and whatever for my dad's investment software."

it's worth the $44 to put in another gig of ram to bring it up to 3gig. other than that, that PC will do 100x more than anything he's asking it to do (so 32bit will be more than enough).

8. thekraft

thekraft New Member

I know. That's why I said if he wanted over 3-4 GB of RAM, he'll need x64, but it'll be enough as is. Hell, for what they need it for, even 2 GB would be enough.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

for what they need it for, reloading the OS on their existing PC would probably make it fast enough again :rofl:

10. unrealii

Ha! Thanks for the suggestions. Forgot to mention P's already have two 24" asus lcd displays and a copy of windows 7 x64 ultimate. The power supply in their old comp is fairly new as the old one got eaten out during a brownout 6 months ago. Picked up a blu-ray drive from fry's last week for $60. I still think I can build a much better system than that dell for a few $$$ more. Keep in mind, thsi machine isn't going to be upgraded for the next 5-10 years. Are the dell graphics cards propriety? - adding a graphics card bumps that dell up another $100.

11. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

no, only their mobo's are, which are usually foxconn nowadays.

best to add or swap parts yourself.

12. unrealii

I could have easily built cheaper, but this thing isn't going to be formatted, repalced, etc for a good 5 years. It needs to last period.

AMD PII 925 AM3
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 (has USB 3.0 and SATA3)
    Kingston HyperX DDR3 4gb 1600mhz
    XFX HD4670
    Asus Blu-Ray Drive
    WD Green 500GB

cost: 478 + tax

When I ghost and replace the hardrive in 3-4 years as a preventative measure, I'll have sata3 :)

13. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I'd get a WD Black drive not a Green drive. Otherwise, it looks like sufficient overkill...