suggestions for a system for web surfing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cc00gt, Apr 21, 2005.

1. cc00gt

cc00gt Foosballin'

I'm looking to upgrade the motherboard, processor and RAM and need some suggestions. I've never built a system, but i'm looking at using an AMD processor and 512M of RAM. The computer will be used mostly for the internet (playing poker, really). No gaming, etc. so inexpensive but dependable. I have an older case, power supply, hard drive (~20 gig, don't remember), and cd RW. i guess i'm also gonna need a video card, since the existing is integrated, but it doesn't have to be anything fancy. Is anyone running linux? Since i'm looking for cheap, i was thinking of running firefox on linux, but don't know if it'll 'cause problems with any of the poker sites.

edit: would i be better off getting a cheap dell or something like it (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_dp_desktop1_1?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Unless you want to learn to build a system, then getting a Dell or HP or whatever would be the better choice and any of their cheaper system should be more than enough for what you want, even if you might have to spring a few extras bits of cash to get to 512MB of RAM.
    Integrated video should do you just fine.

3. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

If you are looking to build cheap, linux is a great way to do so (if you aren't using the newsgroups). The only problem is that if you are going to run linux you need to build your system around that, in other words make sure that your periphials are linux compliant or at least there are drivers available for them. Also you'll need to know some shell commands so I highly recommend a referance book. A distro that I like for user friendliness in a desktop and home pc application is Mepis Linux, It will boot from cd so you can get to know it before you decide to use it.