Suggestion on PC cooling?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awwhhdayum, Jan 22, 2004.

1. awwhhdayum

awwhhdayum eh?

I notice my system runs pretty hot even with 4 extra fans installed, 1 video fan and 2 powersupply fans. It's pretty damn loud too.

any suggestion on pc cooling? water cool maybe? please be specific

thanks! :bigthumb:

2. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

What kind of setup do you have? Be specific :fawk:

Unless you're just looking for an excuse to go liquid, then YES YOU NEED WATERCOOLING!

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

How hot is 'pretty hot'?
    And what CPU are you running?

4. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Watercool. :o

5. awwhhdayum

awwhhdayum eh?

86F idle, around 96F when running graphic intense games. This is on a cool day, on hot days it reaches 100F

P4 2.6 gig, 160 gig HD, DVD R, Vantec fan, ASUS P4C800 MB, vantec Airflow cpu fan, AIW 9700pro.

3 intake fan, 1 exit fan, 1 system blower.

need I list more?

6. awwhhdayum

awwhhdayum eh?

if you recommend water cool, can you list specific things I might need to research on? look for, like brands n stuff.

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I'd recommend getting a program called speedfan, it will automatically control the speed of the fans in your system based on temperature parameters you set.. and by the way, temps are always given in Celcius in computer-land ;) but your temps do look okay. Just as an example, I run my system with no fans except CPU and PSU, and your system probably does not need much more airflow than mine. You could get an Arctic Cooling VGA silencer for your video card, that will help temps and noise alot. You could also probably totally take your intake fans off as long as the front of your case has good airflow. If you experiment with it, you'll see how little airflow really is necessary to cool a computer (look at dells for example, many of their computers have about as much airflow as mine). Also I'd recommend reading the forums on silentpcreview.com and checking out their articles and recommended parts lists.... if you have any questions feel free to ask, I've pretty much got the airflow/noise thing under control.. I can't tell if my computer's on or off unless I look at the light on the front ;) Good luck :wiggle:

8. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Your temps are fine, actually they're looking really good, 38C under full load on a hot day is nothing to worry about ;)

If you want to quiet things down I'd say either invest in quieter fans (Panaflo/Stealth) or you could try some of that sound dampening stuff SVC sells.

I like the idea of watercooling but unless you are going to really push your system I wouldn't bother because it's expensive and it puts your components in a lot of danger (ie leaks, or pump failure.)

9. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

You're worried about your system over heating and it's not ven up to 100F??
    You do mean Fahrenheit and not Celsius right?? If so, that's just fine and don't worry about cooling. You're cool enough already. Watercooling can make it be even cooler, but other wise don't worry about it.

Mine is setting around 115-120F and that's with the access panel off and a room fan blowing toward it.

Read this and find your CPU, if your CPU gets that high, well near it, then start to worry.

P4 maxs out around 66C to 78C, which is 150F to 172.4F.
    Still think you should worry?

10. awwhhdayum

awwhhdayum eh?

thanks for the info guys, now I feel a lot better about my temperatures. I'll check out the things you guys mentioned.