A&P Suggestion for an used/new SLR 35mm

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TenzoR, Apr 11, 2004.

1. TenzoR

TenzoR She is hot hot hot

Hello,

I'm just venturing to the world of photography. I've been taking pictures since I was 7 using a P/S canon camera. I accidently broked it a year ago and I was waiting till I have some money to buy a newer camera. I'm looking in to buying an AF (and preferably) MF SLR 35mm camera. I have a Nikon lense from my dad's old (but kinda broken Nikon F2 camera). Looking to spend around $200-400 on a good setup. A beginner lense will be fine since I'm still learning.

Any good suggestion?

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

I love my Canon A2E...they can be had in nice shape within your price range....same thing (with a couple very minor differences in behavior) as the international EOS5 model.

I have a 50mm f/1.8 II lens as my 'regular'....cheep & sharp. That plus a cheep zoom will cover you pretty well until you get more serious. For the old school, I have a Fujica STX-1. I still use it for some stuff but as I've been getting better with the A2E, its been sitting more and shooting less.

3. dragon1976

dragon1976 Guest

I learned on an old Minolta XD-7 - great starter camera.

I inherited my uncles Nikon FE2 - very happy with it!

I went out and bought my own Nikon N80. I used it for about a year and am very happy with it.

I just purchased a Nikon D70. I also have a Canon S45 point and shoot.

I have a 28-80 and 70-200 AF Lenses for the Nikons. I have a few manual focus lenses for the FE2 (50mm and 28mm fixed). I also have a 45mm and 70-210 lense for the XD-7.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2004
  4. TenzoR

I was planning on getting the N75 but I'm not sure if it'll still work with the older nikkor mf lense?

Right now I'm looking at a Nikon 801/8008 or F90x/N90s
    with some sort of lense 28-55mm? nothing too big

5. dragon1976

dragon1976 Guest

The newer Nikon AF bodies do work with the older MF Lenses - however, the computer will read "ERROR" when trying to determine the settings. Mechanically they will still work though - just electronically they will have problems.

Basically it renders the light meter useless. So you have to shoot in manual mode, and use something else as your light meter.

Whatever you end up choosing, make sure you can grow with it. Don't just get equipment for the present, but also invest in the future too. If you go with older used equipment, make sure that you can just add accessories and expand your gear.

For example, I started with a Nikon FE2. Then I got a Nikon N80. I can use my AF lenses on the MF FE2. There were some times, when I carried both cameras, each with a separate lense. Both camera's also use the same flash setup. I had two bodies and most of my gear was interchangable between the two bodies. In other words, I was able to add more equipment, without throwing out any old equipment. Keep that in mind when you are shopping - it will make your life easier in the future.

6. TenzoR

what does light meter do :o

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

All SLR's have a through the lens light meter system to measure the amount of light hitting the film. This tells the camera/you which exposure setting to use to get the proper exposure.

A hand held light meter does pretty much the same thing. There are several varations of hand held meters. You have to have some method of figuring exposure and the light meter, whether a hand held model or one incorporated into the camera, is the best tool for the job.

8. nitro

nitro Guest

Canon T90, Canon A1, Nikon N80, Minolta X-700, Minotla Maxxum 7000-9000, all these fit what you are looking for.

9. TenzoR

:bowdown: hey thanks, let me look into these

10. Escaladeryder

Escaladeryder New Member

11. TenzoR

12. TenzoR

I found a Nikon locally

NIKON 801 Body
    35-70mm. Nikon lens
    70-210mm. Nikon lens
    SB 24 - Nikon Flash
    Nikon Cable Release
    Manfotto Tripod (heavy duty)
    Bag

what should I be looking when I go see the camera? And what price I should offer the person?

13. Escaladeryder

Escaladeryder New Member

I would ship it to canada if you pay for extra shipping costs

14. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I've got an FM10 manual slr.
    It was cheap and it works.

From what I've read about buying a camera..don't spend all of your money on a fancy body and then go cheap on the lens.
    I spent like $110 for my Nikon Fm10 on ebay with case and 35-70 mm Nikkor lens.
    It works OK but it is manual focus/manual winding/whatnot.
    Lenses can be had for relatively cheap too.
    I got a 70-210mm Nikon E-series in pristine condition for about $90 off ebay too.

I would suggest an autofocus camera but I don't know how to use them!