Suggest me a good degree program. ;)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Mar 25, 2003.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I'm in need of some direction, but I want to hear it from regular people, not counselors... and I REALLY don't want the typical computer science, MIS, CIS type degrees... too many of those guys walking around.

I want something in technology.. I plan on finishing up with my masters, was thinking something like business management for my graduate program.. but I'm open. I figured a masters in BM and maybe marketing could be really beneficial.

Right now I'm looking for a bachelors..something in technology, something that will yield great results (high-paying, fairly decent job market, somewhat challenging)..

If you ask my experience, I have experience in sat. engineering and acquisitions and broadcast sciences, IT sales and support, hospitality and IT management, and am currently a data/telecommunications consultant..

Any recommendations?

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I'm not quite following...

3. DatacomGuy

:rofl: I guess I kind of contradicted myself, huh.

Basically I want to find a technology degree to make me stand out. I see hundreds of IT pros with CIS/MIS/CS degrees, and they are walking around without jobs. I want to find something to help me be above the rest.....something in technology that I can use my skills and experience that will help me be successful.

Are there any other degrees other than the CIS/MIS/CS and computer engineering degrees that fall into the IT sector?

4. CompiledMonkey

No, not really. What will make you stand out is previous experience, your rank, and your will to learn. Stick with a CIS/MIS/CS degree and get a MBA if needed (only if you get a CS).

5. DatacomGuy

Yeah, was definately planning on pursuing the MBA, probably in business admin and management...

6. CompiledMonkey

Good choice. As far as the undergrad, if you plan on working in technology, you should stick with MIS/CIS/CS. If you get a CS degree, you'll really want to go for an MBA if you have business desires. If you go with MIS/CIS, it depends. Depending on how much business your bachelors program has, you can decide on whether a MBA is worth the time. Personally for me, it isn't. I'll get plenty of business behind me in my BS program. So instead of a MBA, I'll be going after a MS in Information Systems.

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Sorry to say, but DatacomGuy, I think you might be looking at the degree thing from the wrong angle. Look at what you want to do and figure out what degree will help prepare you to do it.

On a side note, check out electrical engineering. If the schools EE program is good, you should get a pretty nice electronics background. With this you can apply it towards networking and hardware, which is what you appear to be in right now.

Otherwise, computer science is probably the way to go if you want to go into programming.

Pick what you want to do. Then pick the degree to go do it.

8. DatacomGuy

You've got a good point, Astro. I think that's my problem. I havn't really sat down and figured out what I want to do for the rest of my life.

The only reason I had reservations of getting the CS degree is because I'm not a coder. I could probably do it, but I have no desire to. I have reservations of CIS/MIS degrees because I hear that they are considered the entry-level of the IT degree programs, and I don't know that that's something I want on my resume.

I have found a GREAT telecommunications and network engineering degree at Purdue, and I have contacted them for more info.. but we all know how hard it is to get in there. :uh:

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Computer Engineering. That's what I have, a lot of hard work though.

-crontab -l

10. CompiledMonkey

You should really do that first. ;)

If you want to be a network engineer/system admin, choose IS/CIS and pick their network/admin track. In my major, we have three tracks you can take (Software Engineering, Network Engineering, Information Engineering). I would guess a lot of IS/CIS programs are similar.

Having a degree looks better than not having one. Regardless of what your degree is in.

Go for it! Decide on what you want to do, and focus on it. If you want to attend Purdue but your grades are not the best, get into a CC and take some general ed classes.

11. DatacomGuy

And what is that degree geared towards? Is it more hardware and component engineering?

12. DatacomGuy

What is information engineering focused on?

13. CompiledMonkey

Taken from our site:

"The information engineering track focuses on the development of comprehensive approaches to information systems development as a part of organizational strategic planning."

14. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Depends on the courses you take. You can opt for a more software oriented Computer Engineering degree or hardware based. There are many different paths you can take. One of the more robust degree's you can get. But again, it's no smooth ride. A lot of people drop out and take CS.

Plus, I've reiterated what I've said in the past on this board. Degree's won't get you a job, it just opens door or opens up ears. You can an English Degree and become an IT guy. One of my best NT SA's was one.

-crontab -e

15. DatacomGuy

:werd: Oh, I realize that 100%. I'm not getting a degree to get me the job.. I'm getting the degree to better myself and my knowledge and credentials. I have my career.. if it helps me find something else, then the better.. but it's not why I'm going by all means.

16. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Another approach might be to flip through some course books and see which classes get you excited.