GUN Suggest me a bolt-action rifle

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 3x, Jan 9, 2010.

1. 3x

3x New Member

So I just realized the 1750 I bought is huge :rofl:

I guess I'm going to look at some bolt action rifles tomorrow while I'm bouncing around the gun shops. Any suggestions? I can't afford a Remington 700 just yet...I think? Looking to spend no more than 600 after all fees and taxes and stuff...maybe 700. Just the bare gun, not including ammo, etc. I'll add tacticool accessories down the line. Probably won't be doing much to it other than a decent optic.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. BLH

BLH Member

Any gun can put 5 rounds in a 3"x3" paper. You never specified a distance. :)

Do you have anything in particular you would like to do with this rifle? What would you like to hunt with it, and do you have a place to go shooting at 500-1000yrds?

3. SNDP

SNDP New Member

U can get a very nice remmy 700 SPS for under $600. I just bought one.

4. 3x

3x New Member

At 1000 yards I mean :o

This will be something I'll learn to shoot accurately on. I'm not too concerned with the hunting aspect, but I'm sure around that will carry out to 1000 yards will be able to take down most game I may encounter in this state. I'll probably be shooting up to 100 yards for a while until I learn to shoot well...a couple places around here offer 200 yards once a week or so.

Edit: I almost want to get a "varmint" bolt rifle that shoots .223 so I can share ammo with the AR :o but I'd like something of a larger caliber...not sure what has the best balance of availability and cost.

5. BLH

BLH Member

You want to put 5 rounds in a 3"x3" square at 1,000yrds with a 600$ rifle?

If you find one, let me know where I can get one too. :)

6. 3x

3x New Member

I put 3'x3' :hs:

1,000 yards may be a bit optimistic for me at this point. What would be practical for me at this point is something that shoots .223rem, GTG out of the box, heavy barrel, optic mounting system (do they use picatanny rail systems?)...about it really. I'm leaning toward synthetic stock since I do believe they'd save me a buck or two.

7. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Look into the Savage series 10 rifles, I have heard good things about those, the accu-trigger is well regarded and the new accu-stock looks pretty interesting

8. 3x

3x New Member

Seems like everybody is saying the Savage 12fv and 10fp are good choices. Both about the same price. Now I need to get a more thorough understanding of twist rate and bullet weight.

I'm still trying to pick a caliber. .223rem would be ideal since I can send it through my AR, but I can't help but want something larger. Oh, and barrel length.

Oh, and what is it about box magazines? From my understanding, it's only a difference in the stocks. Not like it matters to me in CA :o

9. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

10. dangitsjonathan

dangitsjonathan New Member

i bought a rem 700 adl or sps (i cant remember) in .30-06 at academy for under 400. just sighted it in the other day. it practically shot the same hole at 100 yards. dead on accurate

11. 3x

3x New Member

Random thought: what does it take for a bolt action rifle to take an external magazine? Is it as simple as a stock designed to take an external magazine?

12. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

And the correct bottom metal for the rifle, that should be it IIRC.

13. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

I've heard great things about the Howa 1500's, especially for the price. I've been toying with the idea of getting a good boltgun in the arsenal (HAH, as if I can afford another gun right now)

14. deanald2pt0

deanald2pt0 OT Supporter

Where to begin, I am by no means an expert buy have been doing a lot of research on this lately, am in the process of building up a nice Rem 700 in 308.

In most cases .223 is not going to be an effective 1000 yard cartridge. The bullet simply doesn't have the mass needed to maintain velocity and buck the wind at longer distances. For 1000 yard shootings you are probably going to want a larger caliber, think 308, 260Rem, 7mm mag.

If you are trying the keep ammo commonality, 223 isn't a bad idea, but keep in mind that the ammo your bolt action rifles like probably isn't going to be the same thing your AR likes, bullets weights, and barrel twist, and other variables are all factors here, but again it will never be a 1000 yard gun, 400 to 500 sure.

$600 is a good place to start, but you will find that most rifles in this price range will have some short comings, mainly the stocks because they are cheap and flex. You'll ultimately want to upgrade that to something with aluminum stiffening bars, and then glass bed the action.

Glass is going to be a big limitation too. If you are going to spend $600 of the rifle, don't cheap out and put a cheap ass piece of glass on top, the same goes for rings and bases. Your setup is only going to be as good as your weakest component. Expect to spend the rifles cost again on a glass, bases, and rings (again don't skimp on cheap rings and bases). If you really want to have a set up cable of doing 1000 yards, you need to look into a base that has either a 15 or 20 MOA cant, with out that your scope will probably not have enough adjustment.

Savage 10s and 12s (same action) are good shooters out of the box. In the $600 dollar range these are going to have the cheaper stocks. Rem700 can be found for around $500 on sale at a Dick's Sporting goods, or at least they where a few months ago. Remingtons are know to be good shooters too, but require a little more out of the box work.

I am just skimming the surface on all of these issues. If you turely want a 1000 yard gun take some time and do some research, and be prepared to spend some $$$.

Might want to check out the Precision Rifle forms on AR15.com and read some of the threads at the Sniper's Hide.

15. acoop101

acoop101 New Member

Any one heared anything about the Marlin XS7 series of rifles? I think they have come out with ones in 308, 243 and 7mm08, I've heard good things about the xl7 but nothing about the xs7. and for 300 bucks it seems like a good deal.

16. Dave_Ellis

Dave_Ellis Very Impotent Person

I picked up an XS7 over the summer, it was on sale for like 250 at Cabelas so I couldn't pass it up. I'm really happy with it as a whole, the trigger is extremely crisp and it has enough weight to ii and handles the recoil nicely (.308). No hiccups with the bolt or anything either, for 300 bucks the fit and finish is nice.

I threw a Nikon Prostaff on top and I extremely content with it. I've actually been meaning to shoot it but we haven't gotten past single digit temperatures in the past two weeks.

17. 3x

3x New Member

I don't plan on changing anything about the gun, perhaps a stock. I've narrowed it down to a Savage 12fv or 10fp...pretty sure I'm leaning toward the 10fp.

I doubt I'd need anything capable beyond 500 yards, but I've heard that .223 is pretty useless (for anything other than punching paper) beyond 300 yards.

I'm trying to decide between .223 and .308 at the moment :o

And I'm planning on putting at least ~500 into the optics setup, just not sure which direction to go in as I'm pretty new to distance shooting.

18. 3x

3x New Member

Oh, and does .308 and 7x62.51 work like .223 and 5.56x45?

Like...I can shoot .223 and 5.56 in a barrel marked 5.56, but not 5.56 through a barrel marked .223?

19. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

NATO/Standard doesn't mean anything to you, I shoot bot has same/same.

The rifle won't be the limiting factor here. You haven't mentioned a specific bullet, which as always should be where you are starting. If you don't reload, 308 is about the only game in town.

1000 is a poke..... I'd wager more that your bullet/optic/skills will fuck you harder than whatevers stamped on the side of the action and cartridge head.

20. 3x

3x New Member

i don't plan on shooting well at all for a long time, but this will be something i'm starting out on.

probably going .308 and i'd eventually like to reload

i put 1000 yards because i don't plan on buying another "tack driving" rifle, and i'd at least like something that will be capable of doing so.

21. 3x

3x New Member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  22. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Mosin M44

23. deanald2pt0

deanald2pt0 OT Supporter

Yes, there are slight differences, but in this case I believe it is just opposite, commercial 308 is loaded hotter then 7.62 NATO. But for best accuracy you aren't going to want to shoot 7.62 NATO surplus.

However, it would probably be best if you stuck with commercial 308.

24. eric5678

eric5678 striving for mediocrity OT Supporter

25. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I have an SPS Tactical in .308 and absolutely love it. Same situation... I wanted a good base rifle that I could really learn to shoot on and then get out to longer distances as my skills improved.

This is my 700 .243 and my 700 .308....

[​IMG]