Sugar in your diet

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by BoypussY, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

does the body need sugar to function? Like how it needs some saturated fat or cholesterol and proteins to function. Does the body get sugars from breads, pasta and other things?

is it okay if you have absolutely no sugar in your diet and is low blood sugar harmful? im lost about sugar :x:

2. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

Glucose is a form of sugar, which is a very important fuel for your body. Glucose comes from mainly carbohydrates, and after eating, it goes to your cells for energy. If you ever eat too much glucose, it becomes stored in your liver and muscles and is then glycogen. Glycogen is basically stored energy, which your body can use for whenever it needs to use it between meals.

Hypoglycemia comes into play when your body 's blood glucose (blood sugar) level drops too low and cannot provide enough energy.

Edit:

To answer your questions, no, it's not okay to have absolutely no sugar in your diet, yes, it can be harmful, and your body gets glucose from foods that have carbohydrates.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  3. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

:bowdown: thanks a lot man, i just got a blood test done, and my glucose level was a little above the median level, but i never eat sweets. I rememberd the body gets glucose from carbs aswell, so maybe i should take it easy on the carb intake for my cut session ;)

4. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

i heard that carbohydrates are not essential nutrients and the body can obtain all its energy from protein and fat.

does that mean we can function with a no carb diet? are there any negatives of not eating carbs? why dont bodybuilders cut carbs all together (good or bad)?

5. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

Yeah, no problem man. =]

If I remember correctly, my nutritional science professor said that it's not a good idea to completely cut out carbs from your diet, because it IS an essential nutrient, since they also help the process of storage and transportation of energy. But then again, there was the Atkin's diet, which wasn't all that harmful (my step-dad went on one for like a year, and he's in perfect health). Also (all this Biology stuff is coming back lol), carbs is a monosacharide which is a basic linking unit in molecular formulas and so on.

I'm also cutting right now, and I try to limit the amount of carbs I take, but I don't completely remove them from my diet.
    And as for your question about body builders not cutting carbs altogether, I really don't know (maybe because since they work their body out a lot, they need enough energy to be able to be consistent).

Edit:
    I found a small article about carbohydrates. Interesting read:

"When you eat carbohydrates, the body breaks them down into simple sugars. These sugars are absorbed into the bloodstream. As the sugar level rises in your body, the pancreas releases a hormone called insulin. Insulin is needed to move sugar from the blood into the cells, where the sugar can be used as a source of energy.
    When this process goes fast - as with simple sugars - you're more likely to feel hungry again soon. When it occurs more slowly, as with a whole-grain food, you'll be satisfied longer. These types of complex carbohydrates give you energy over a longer period of time.
    The carbohydrates in some foods (mostly those that contain a lot of simple sugars) cause the blood sugar level to rise more quickly than others. Scientists have been studying whether eating foods that cause big jumps in blood sugar may be related to health problems like diabetes and heart disease. You're probably already on the right track if you are limiting simple sugars (such as candy) and eating more complex carbohydrates (like vegetables, oatmeal, and whole-grain wheat bread)." - lol, a kid's health site - http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/nutrition/food/carb.html

So pretty much if you cut simple sugars (candy, etc.), it won't be harmful to you since it won't cause blood sugar spikes, but it's better to keep some, if not all, complex carbohydrates in your body (veggies, oatmeals, etc).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  6. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

haah interesting info...guess ill stick with eating wholegrain breads/oatmeal/veggies if im eating carbs.

thanks bro

7. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

Anytime dude. Yeah, I usually stick with eating wholegrain breas/oatmeal/veggies too.

8. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

You need sugar in your diet. There are muscles that run solely on sugar. Your brain also prefers to run on sugar. If you don't get it from your diet, your body is able to metabolize it from other sources within your body. I'm not saying eat sugar like crazy but it is important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.