Suddenly-degraded Wireless Signal

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Logos, May 20, 2006.

1. Logos

Logos New Member

Hi all. I'm at my wit's end trying to fix my wireless network, so I thought I'd call in reinforcements.

I've got a Realtek RTL8180 wireless card in my PC. It's upstairs in my house, probably about 50 ft away from my Netgear wireless router. For about 8 months, this arrangement worked just fine. My connection wasn't the best in the world, but it was routinely 80% signal strength and above, and transfer speeds/latency were not significantly different from the wired connection.

All this changed about 1 month ago. My signal strength plummeted, and it now bounces around (it oscillates wildly, even) 10% to 40%. It is particularly bad when the computer is first turned on; the card usually can't even pull an IP. About half an hour later, I can limp onto the network. From then on, using the internet is a painful experience. Page loads take a minute or longer, if they happen at all.

I've tried every possible antenna orientation I can, no go. I've checked for any new wireless networks that might be interfering; there are none. I've tried different channels.

My brother's IBM laptop with built-in Cisco card works perfectly in the same room as my box, so I'm sure it's the card in my box that's the culprit. However, like I say, it worked just as well up until recently.

What could cause such a sudden drop in performance?

2. Logos

Logos New Member

Incidentally, if this is useful, I picked up some stats from the Realtek Utility. It seems the ratio of Rx Retry / Rx Okay is about 1, while the ratio of Tx Retry / Tx Okay is about 10.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I would recommend trying a different card... Realtek isn't really known for quality. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a bad card.

4. Logos

Logos New Member

Aye. If no one has any brain waves, I'll probably order this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833130111

I can't live without the internet, and what's $30 compared to therapy?

5. Logos

Logos New Member

Yeah, just went ahead and bought the new one. Gotta get things done on the weekend. Cheers!

6. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Give us an update when you get the new one.. hopefully that takes care of things.

7. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

If you introduced any new electronics in your house recently that could also be a problem. Certain things can cause interference with wireless.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ZoNet re-brands RealTek products under their own name... AAHAHAHAHAHA You dog on RealTek then recommend a RealTek product to him, hahahahahaha

9. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Hey, I didn't recommend anything other than a new card. I didn't at all say that it was a good or bad one.