Sucrose vs. Dextrose vs. Fructose vs. Glucose

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by deusexaethera, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I started wondering about this issue a few days ago, so I did some digging and I found out something very interesting about sucrose and fructose.

First, the big one: we eat a lot of fructose nowadays, in the form of high-fructose corn syrup, which in addition to doubling our intake of sugar since the 1960's, also interferes with the growth and maintenance of all different types of connective tissues. How? Apparently the metabolism of fructose requires the diversion of copper away from the production of Lysl oxidase, which is a key enzyme used in the production of collagen and elastin.

Furthermore, sucrose (plain table sugar) is a di-saccharide sugar composed of a glucose molecule and a fructose molecule joined end-to-end (or something like that), which means that even using plain white sugar puts more fructose into your body. Damn.

To make matters worse, fructose comes from sweet fruits; yeah, the one healthy snack that also tastes good can actually weaken your connective tissue. Fantastic.

On the other hand, glucose is the sugar that the human body uses directly, without having to be metabolised into any other intermediate sugars -- it goes straight into your cells and gets turned into ATP from there, so since it doesn't have to be metabolised, it doesn't pull vitamins and minerals away from other important bodily functions. Problem is, it's harder than hell to buy glucose in any meaningful quantities, though some diabetic shops sell glucose syrup in bottles. (Being a mono-saccharide sugar, it apparently causes fewer problems for diabetics despite being absorbed very quickly.) However, it doesn't taste very sweet compared to di-saccharide sugars, so you could end up using a lot of it, which would be counter-productive.

So, unless you want to run out to the health-food store and stock up on bottles of glucose syrup like you're expecting a nuclear war, the only option left is dextrose. (There's also maltose, but I haven't gotten enough info on that one yet.) I've seen it recommended here before, and now I know why it's recommended; it's a mono-saccharide sugar, so it's easily absorbed yet less likely to induce an insulin crash, it's roughly as sweet as table sugar, it doesn't contain any hidden fructose (because it's not a complex sugar), and you can buy it in a 5lb bag just like sucrose. Good deal.

- - -

Just thought I'd share what I found out. If anyone has anything else to add, go right ahead.

2. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

3. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

dextrose and glucose are the same thing

4. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

5. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Active Member

:rofl:

6. deusexaethera

Interesting. So they are. That's good to know, and it explains why it's virtually impossible to buy glucose.

Strange; there are two versions of glucose, mirror images of each other, and one of them is completely unusable by any known metabolic process, human or otherwise.

- - -

Anyway, the part I most wanted to bring to your attention was that fructose metabolism inhibits the growth, maintenance, and repair of connective tissue. So steer clear of really sweet fruit while training, though I guess fruits that don't have a lot of fructose are still desirable because of the vitamins in them.

- - -

EDIT: Regarding maltose, it seems it's just two glucose molecules joined together to make a di-saccharide sugar. So it's cool too. That means beer isn't off the menu, at least in regards to its carbohydrate content.

7. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I've never heard anything about this, what the fuck study says that eating fruits is bad for your connective tissues? I'm not buying some random tidbit written by someone who didn't even bother to research the fact that glucose and dextrose are the same thing.

8. deusexaethera

I'll look it up again and post the source.

- - -

Here it is. The article itself is written by a reporter, but there's a good list of medical sources at the bottom. The guy did his homework.

EDIT: A quick search for "fructose elastin" turns up a bunch of similar results. Here's another interesting one; scroll down to point #4.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  9. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Though I don't feel like looking for these 20 year old studies so I can dig through the texts and data to make sure this is a valid claim, I'm going to theorize that humans have been eating fruit, sugars and honey for millions of years so we're probably pretty well adapted to it. If there is an effect I'd say it's negligible.

10. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

yeah dude you're overanalyzing this quite a bit. there is no doctor on earth that will say don't eat fruit unless you're diabetic they'd say don't binge on it

11. deusexaethera

The problem is negligible when eating "whole foods", but unfortunately there is a lot of high-fructose corn syrup even in processed health foods nowadays. It's the fact that the fructose isn't buffered with any of the vitamins and minerals needed to metabolise it that causes problems.

Also, fructose has to be pre-metabolised by the liver, whereas dextrose/glucose can be metabolised directly by your entire body at once. That puts extra strain on the liver, in addition to having to deal with pesticides and other environmental toxins, and toxins generated by working out. Liver cirrhosis anyone?

12. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

You're making all these claims based off that one article you just read?

Tell me your views of 9/11

edit: nobody likes high fructose corn syrup, it causes problems in mice with their livers I know this. However I didn't look at the doses and animal studies don't always translate well to humans.

13. deusexaethera

There are a lot of articles all saying the same thing. Go read them if you want to double-check what I'm saying. Otherwise, accept or reject it in peace, but don't bust my ass for saying something you haven't heard before while also being too lazy to see for yourself.

Let me guess; you lift and you take your protein and creatine supplements, so therefore you know everything there is to know, right?

14. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

Nice but a little exaggerated

15. deusexaethera

A. Fructose appears to interfere with copper metabolism. This causes collagen and elastin being unable to form. Collagen and elastin are connective tissue which essentially hold the body together. A deficiency in copper can also lead to bone fragility, anemia, defects of the arteries and bone, infertility, high cholesterol levels, heart attacks and ironically enough an inability to control blood sugar levels.

B. Research suggests that fructose actually promotes disease more readily than glucose. This is because glucose is metabolized by every cell in the body, and fructose must be metabolized by the liver. Tests on animals show that the livers of animals fed large amounts of fructose develop fatty deposits and cirrohosis of the liver. This is similar to the livers of alcoholics.

C. “Pure” isolated fructose contains no enzymes, vitamins or minerals and may rob the body of these nutrients in order to assimilate itself for physiological use.

D. Fructose may contribute to diabetic conditions. It reduces the sensitivity of insulin receptors. Insulin receptors are the way glucose enters a cell to be metabolized. As a result, the body needs to make more insulin to handle the same amount of glucose.

E. Consumption of fructose has been shown to cause a significant increase in uric acid. An increase in uric acid can be an indicator of heart diease.

F. Fructose consumption has been shown to increase blood lactic acid, especially for people with conditions such as diabetes. Extreme elevations may cause metabolic acidosis.

G. Consumption of fructose leads to mineral losses, especially excretions of iron, magnesium, calcium and zinc compared to subjects fed sucrose.

H. Fructose may cause accelerated aging through oxidative damage. Scientists found that rats given fructose had more cross-linking changes in the collagen of their skin than other groups fed glucose. These changes are thought to be markers for aging.

I. Fructose can make you fat! It is metabolized by the liver and converts to fat more easily than any other sugar. Fructose also raises serum triglycerides (blood fats) significantly.

16. deusexaethera

Obviously extreme effects are precipitated by extreme abuse, but stress is still stress, and it's worth knowing what kinds of stress you're under. You people are all about optimizing your body chemistry to achieve the best health you can. Why all the hate?

EDIT: Considering that glucose/dextrose is the recommended sugar around here, I would think someone would have done research into why it is the recommended sugar around here. Or were you all just blindly accepting what you were told, while accusing me of the same?

17. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I never said that :hsugh:. I'm just wary to jump on another bandwagon based on non-peer reviewed articles that some health foods person posted on the Internet.

Also, being as you're the person introducing wacky new theories on how sugars we've been eating for a million years actually hurt us, I'd say the burden of proof rests on you.

18. Peak_Oil

Peak_Oil New Member

Unless you drink a lot or take over 2400mg of tylenol a day, don't worry about your liver. Make sure you eat a diet rich in thiamine and the rest of the B vitamins. Your liver has amazing regenerative capacity.

19. deusexaethera

We've been eating high-fructose corn syrup for 35 years, genius. And I'm not proving anything, I'm giving people who are predisposed to care about it something to look into. You think I'm going to go do my own double-blind studies just to convince you people? Have you done the same with all the other shit you suck down with breakfast? I didn't think so; you rely on professional expertise instead. Which is all I'm doing.

20. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

:rofl: dude you said STEER CLEAR OF SWEET FRUITS

Nobody is going to argue that junk food is bad for you. :mamoru:

21. deusexaethera

I also said the effect is insignificant with "whole foods", but still, maybe you're unaware that fruit growers are busy trying to breed fruit with more and more sugar in it to keep up with people's ever-increasing desire to eat sugar.

Anyway, you want to explain how one line of one post invalidates everything I've said?

22. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Yea dude....eating fruit is wicked bad fo ya...

23. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I'm just skeptical because this is an article in a magazine, not a compilation of past research published in a peer reviewed scholarly journal. Sorry if I offended you.

24. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I'm going to start eating pennies so I get enough copper, I don't want weaker connective tissue.

25. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

I'm not going to go into great depth because i'm not going to pretend i've studied sugar. What was the consumption level during these tests?

Again, at what level. Alcoholics consume LARGE levels of alcohol, nothing near normal.
    Where can i buy that?

Again, at what levels?

What levels?

What levels? Look a look of these studies are incorporating several times the normal consuption. That can be 60% of total daily intake.

I'm really done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.