subwoofer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by computerdeals, Aug 11, 2003.

1. i was looking at replacing my two 10inch subs in my tower speakers in my room...and was wondering if i could just use car sub's to replace them...

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I don't see why not, as long as the internal volume of your cabinet is sufficient, and you have enough power.

3. 04

04 Guest

You could use car woofers, but are you sure the "subwoofers" in the tower speakers are actually subwoofers, and dont cover more of say the woofer range?

What speakers do you have?

4. the speakers i have are OLD school hitatchi's...i was looking at getting these

5. good point tho, the speaker has a mid a tweeter also.. dunno if that makes much of a diff

6. also, where can i buy a decent woofer?

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

8. so these guys are pretty trustable?

9. 04

04 Guest

10. 04

04 Guest

Yes Partsexpress is a VERY reputable company. I have probably spent over 1000 dollars in over 10 orders with them over the years, and I have YET to have a problem.

11. twistid

:wiggle: yes i'm back, and no i've been totally stripped... i can't even change my custom user text. :wtc:

12. twistid

yes they are, they've been around for a while. i remember when they were just a catalog, before they joined the interweb.

13. 04

04 Guest

:wtc:

Well at least they let you back on :bigthumb:

and FWIW, it was cool of you to do that for LS, I don't know if I could have done that in your position :hs:

14. will it help to have a subwoofer and a woofer in the same speaker, or is that overkill?

15. the same box i mean

16. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

The sub shuuld be able to reproduce most if not all of the same frequency range as a regular woofer. I would just use the subs and forget about it. No need to go to a lot of extra trouble for little benefit.

17. alright, heres a hypothetical question, is it possible to have two speaker outputs feed into one speaker and theoretically double the amount of power fed in to the speaker? I dont think it would work, but had to ask

18. oh, and its too late, i already bought a two woofers...but would it still be worth it to add a sub, cuz i still have a spot for another 10" speaker

19. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

It couldn't hurt, as long as it is in its own enclosure, meaning that it doesn't share air space with any other speaker in the cabinet. But I would add a separate powered sub, so it can have better placement and will sound better, not to mention it won't take power from your other speakers.

20. okay...this is kinda far fetched but since i have a four channel amp- 100 watts per channel, do you think i could just have two of the channels designated solely for the subwoofers? or would that not work?

21. 04

04 Guest

Yes that would work fine. I am assuming you are using a car amplifier?

22. no no...just an onkyo TX-V940... im talking about just using 2 of the speaker outputs it has for the subs

23. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

If you have a crossover to use, that would be ok, otherwise you will need to get one.

24. [b]e-n[/b]

[b]e-n[/b] Guest

You need to buy 8 Ohm Speakers. Otherwise the receiver could have heat/clipping problems seeing a 4 Ohm load.

25. twistid

i think he's figured that out, those mtx woofers he linked were 8ohms.