subwoofer volume knob

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HHOTEK, Jan 27, 2009.

1. HHOTEK

HHOTEK New Member

i have a fairly basic home theater system but the sound is very clean except for the lowend so i tossed out the sub that came with the system and built a vented enclosure for a single down-firing 10 with a power supply and 12 volt amp built into the box it is now incredibly loud on the low end. But i want to incorporate a volume knob for the speaker the interrupts the speaker wire and allows me to adjust volume something like a rheostat possibly but i cant seem to find any info on this nor a rheostat that is rated for high wattage most are only 3 watts. Any ideas on what the easiest to do this is?

2. delussional77

delussional77 Active Member

you won't find a rheostat that will be capable of sinking that much current

what you need to do is figure out how to adjust the gain on your 12V amplifier. The gain matches the input voltage signal (from your receiver) to the amplified output going to the sub. Adjust the gain, adjust the amount of bass.

However, the gain isn't supposed to be used as a volume knob....

3. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe that most volume control is done pre-amp so you should be able to use a 3watt rheostat if you do it pre-amp.

4. HHOTEK

HHOTEK New Member

Thats what im planning on doing now by far the easiest way out