Subwoofer Question *Car Audio n00b*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DJ-phYre, Nov 9, 2003.

1. DJ-phYre

DJ-phYre Active Member

OK, first of all... I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT SUBS/AMPS OR ANYTHING ELSE TO DO WITH CAR AUDIO

I just got a 2004 Mazda6 w/o the Bose stereo system, so I am looking to add some subs to it. I have been looking for a couple, days. I am pretty set on getting either Rockford Fosgate or Audiobahn.

I am looking to spend quite a bit of money, because I really want a good setup, but I still want it to be reasonable.

I was looking at this subs w/ enclosure:

Audiobahn ABP12T

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ABNABP12T - These are the 12"

Audiobahn ABP10T

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ABNABP10T - These are the 10"

--

I needed to know how big of an amp I would need to power these, and I really would like to stay with audiobahn for the amp also.

The amp will just be powering the 2 subs in the box and nothing else.

Please post any information or suggestions that you have.

2. Dom Toretto

Dom Toretto ^--- Too Fast, and too furious

If you want something with top end SQ and SPL, look into Adire Audio's subs... specifically their Bhrama subs. They are pricey, but they are awesome subs and will blow Audiobahns out of the water.

Also, look into JL's w7 line as well as Digital Design subs.

If you're going with 2 subs and price isn't an issue, I would recomend to amps, one for each sub. I would use monoblock amps which means they only have one output and are made specifically for maximum power output. :cool:

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

there is no reasaon to do seprate amps
    second off i would look at a differnt brand if you are looking to spend alot of money before i recomend a sub tell me what you want out of it loud sound good both ect

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Definitely look at the Elemental Designs subs, namely the A series for top end sq, and spl.

www.edesignaudio.com

5. 04

04 Guest

I agree, the W7 and Brahma are both excellent choices, as well as DD.

However, just because a monoblock amplifier has one output does not mean it was specifically designed for maximum power output. Any amplifier should be designed for its maximum output, and you can get 2 channel amplifiers that put out more power than a monoblock. The only true difference you can infer between a monoblock and a 2 channel amplifier is that the monoblock as a 1 channel output, and the 2 channel amp has 2ch output.

6. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Also your amp needs will depend on the impedance of your subs, for example your Class D monoblock sub amp may put out max power at 2 ohms, but you may only have one sub that is dual 4 ohm voice coil. You won't want to run that sub on a monoblock amp that cant run at a one ohm load, so a 2 channel amp that is bridged and puts out max power at 4 ohm will be your best bet.

7. 04

04 Guest

Actually 2 4ohm voice coils wired in parallel would be a 2ohm load, and that would work fine for an amplifier that is 2ohms stable.