Subwoofer possible to connect to stock stereo

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Spartus, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Spartus

Spartus New Member

Hello,

Is it possible to connect a sub and an amp to a stock Bose audio system in a 2003 Nissan Altima. If so, what is needed and how can this be done?

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Sometimes, yes. If the amplifier has speaker-level inputs or a selector switch, you can tap off your rear speakers by using a splice, run some 14-16awg wire (assuming rear speakers) from there to your amp and attach RCA connectors to each end. Plug those into your amps input section and switch it to "high-level" or speaker level. Check your manual to make sure it supports this. It is also possible you don't need to add RCA connectors and can just run bare wire to the amp, but I haven't seen this before in car audio.

3. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Some amps have line level inputs.. I would recommend getting a line out converter. It converts high level signals (speaker leads) into RCAs (low level.)

4. Spartus

Spartus New Member

how is the sound generally, if subwoofer is connected through this method?

5. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

for most people it will be fine.. the only problem is not having an independent sub control. for example, if you want more bass, you will have to turn up your radio, the stereo and speakers make distort too much before you get to an adequate sub level.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i would by some "bass stoppers" which are basically just capacitors that go in-line with your normal speakers to stop lower frequencies... That will help greatly with distortion, and the sub makes up for the bass.

7. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

just buy a head unit.

8. 04

04 Guest

Many of the bass stoppers have such a low frequency cutoff point to where the reactance of the capacitor reacts with the reactance of the woofer, especially around it's resonance. This can actually make the bass louder than without a bass blocker. The slope on a bass blocker is also very shallow.

If you want to put a passive high pass into the system, I'd really reccomend using a second order network (or at least designing a impedence compensation circuit in)

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's all way over my head :mamoru: All I know on that subject is we went to a audio-shop, told em what speakers we had, and what we wanted... they gave us these "bass-stoppers" which looked like a capacitor to put in-line with the speaker, and volia, no more distorted bass. They had different sizes and ratings... Are you saying they all suffer from this?

10. 04

04 Guest

All single capacitor crossovers that have their crossover frequency near the speaker's resonance do. Depending on what value the capacitor was though, the effects can be minimized by using a higher frequency crossover point (which could be what happened in your case). But the problem with that is that you will loose a lot of midbass as well.

11. Spartus

Spartus New Member

the stereo is a bose. is it possible to just turn the bass down to get minmal distortion. Also, can't I just put the gain up on the amp to push the subs a bit more at lower moderate volumes?

12. 04

04 Guest

That's what I would suggest doing. :)

As for your question though above about sound quality by doing this method, it can be hit or miss. Some cars have level dependent equilizers (or normal non-defeatable equilizers) that can change the sound. Though, usually the system will still sound better IMO with an aftermarket subwoofer added on either way.

13. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Don't Bose car audio systems speak some sort of black magic voodoo electronic language? I think that's why they sound so much better than all the other stereos.

:hsugh:

14. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Bose sounds so much better than all other stereos? :hsugh:

15. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Look at my av and tell me I'm someone who would actually believe that.

:hsugh:

16. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

if it was possible im sure he would have by now, i ran into the same problem with my infiniti its kind of like swapping out a deck in a taurus, the heater/ac controls are in the same bunch but mine also has a small compartment built in too. And the bose sounds better than most stockers ive heard, but...nothing to brag about...at all.....

17. Spartus

Spartus New Member

yeah, I want to keep the stock dash look and keep the 6 disc in dash player. A new headunit would be nice, especially an MP3 deck but it may not work with the Bose speakers and might be a pain the ass. The sound is decent for a stock stereo, lacking highs though!

18. Spartus

Spartus New Member

19. mojito

mojito New Member

I did that for a while in my Xterra, but its a RF not a bose unit. It sounded pretty good, but I replaced all the speakers with JL Audio s and put in an amp and all new wiringa nd dynomat, but eventually gave in and got a new Head unit too. I dind't want to give up the IN Dash 6CD changer and the steering whell controls (I know can be added later but what a PITA)

It does sound better with the new HU and better bass by far. Honestly I don't think the highs are as good, but its probably just the wasy the equalizer is set up. I gave in because I couldn't get rid of an engine whine from the HU.

I put in a high to low converter behind the stock head unit and ran the RCA's to the amp. It worked, but didn't work as well as a new HU would.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Nissan uses both Rockford Fosgate and Bose brands in their vehicles, however neither are actually made by either company. Regardless of what name is silkscreened onto the head unit, they are made by the same company (rumor is that it's clarion). This goes for the speakers, too. For example, the same head unit found in the Frontier/Xterra (Rockford Fosgate) is the exact same unit found in the Pathfinder (Bose), minus the label.

21. Ronin

Ronin Guest

It's a damned conspiracy, I vote to bring this infront of congress.

22. mojito

mojito New Member

You're right in some regards. Clarion and Nickmachi(SP?) make the head units and speakers for Nissans. RF did start putting in some stuff for the 03+ xterras and maybe other models.

The BOSE verions are suppose to be a bitch to work with though. I didn't have to deal with that, but the "RF" or normal stock Nissan stuff is suppose to be a lot easier to work with

23. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

The bose in my maxima is the worst i've ever heard, but haven't had the time yet to put my stereo from my old maxima in