Subwoofer help...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nothnbutDiamonds, Jan 7, 2005.

1. I got a Sharp (150 watt) stereo for christmas, but I need help at what would be the best choice and place to buy a subwoofer for it. The cheapest subwoofer I found was this sony for $89.99, but I only looked at bestbuy and circuit city.
    [​IMG]

2. And is the monster cable they sell for connections worth the money? Does it really help?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

monster cable = ripoff.

I never liked the sound of sony speakers, but it's highly subjective. Best Buy should have it setup so you can listen to it.

4. Original

Original OT Supporter

I have an 140 watt Panasonic Stereo and I bought an $150 150 watt Aiwa 10" powered Sub. Best investment I've ever made on a relatively cheap powered sub. It's probably worth $200 now so you'll need a higher investment if you want to shake the walls.

Sony's are usually overpriced and I don't like their speakers. It's $89 and is 100 watts RMS. If your budget is around $100.. I'd highly suggest this Yamaha here..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051826218390&skuId=5539367&productCategoryId=cat03045&type=product

rather than that Sony. It's downfiring and has 120 watts.. only $10 more.

And BTW - look around at the box too. My subwoofer was included with high wattage wires specifically for my subwoofer so you never know. I have a set of Monster Cable but i've never opened it yet.

5. 04

04 Guest

Powered subwoofers dont need high wattage wires, because the amplifier is already built into the unit. Even if you run speaker wire to the unit, the cheapest stuff out there will work fine, as long as you arent running your main speakers off that same wire.

6. Original

Original OT Supporter

It had it's own built in receiver too. So I used those wires to connect my stereo to my subwoofer's input, then the speakers are in the output. They might not have been high wattage, but they weren't skimpy wires that come with shelf systems.

7. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

just so you know, aiwa = sony

8. Original

Original OT Supporter

:noes:
    I never knew that.. well I don't care, this sub was well worth it compared to other things Sony sells :rofl:

9. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

i think i have the same aiwa sub as you, sounds very good for what I payed for it