Subwoofer Advice --

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WheresMyBeer, Apr 20, 2005.

1. WheresMyBeer

WheresMyBeer Drag and Destroy

I've decided that I want to reduce my sound system from 3 Alpine Type R 12's, to somthing with 2 10's.

So, because I've only had good experiences with Alpine (E's to R's, amps, and a head unit at one point), I've decided to look further along the chain -- Type X's.

From what I understand they run at 1000 watts RMS, as opposed to my 12 inch R's which ran at 350 RMS a piece. The amp I would be using would push each sub at roughly 600 watts a piece, I'd expect that to be enough, or would there be signifigant clipping?

Does anyone have any experience with these subs? Pros or Cons? Any other suggestions? I'm looking to spend $250 on each sub, so unfortunatly the JL 10W7's are out of the question.

Thanks,

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I suggest getting one super 15 as opposed to 2 10s

3. WheresMyBeer

Normally I would, but this is going to be crammed into a regular cab Ranger at some point here. So, I'm kind of intent on getting two tens. But, thank you for the suggestion.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

How much is the W6v2 on eBay?

With regards to the power specs. Is it 1000W max continuous RMS or 1000W recommended RMS? It doesn't matter a WHOLE lot, but if it is recommended, that means you will be underpowering even more. If you want to double the actual loudness of the speaker, you have to apply 10 times the power. I.e. a 100W amplifier (assuming all else is equal and perfect conditions) will play only twice as loudly as a 10W amplifier. So, your 600W should play loud enough, but you still don't want to drive it to clipping, which is possible with any amplifier if you have not set the gains correctly. So, set the gains correctly and you should be safe.

5. WheresMyBeer

I currently have a JBL 1200.1 series amp that I have been using for the R types, and plan to continue using it. But, I understand what you are saying about the power. So, using that logic, would the two 10's running at 600 (+/-) watts RMS be as loud as my 3 R's running at 400 (+/-) watts RMS?

6. WheresMyBeer

7. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You can't draw that correlation at all unfortunately. What you are talking about depends much more on cone area and mechanical and electrical factors like the efficiency, etc. They don't list any of these specs on that site.

Based on cone area, which can give us an approximation I guess. Your three 12's have more than twice the cone area of two 10's. This would mean your new system would not be nearly as loud as the old one. This assumes all else is equal though, and it's not. Just don't be disappointed if it doesn't get as loud.

8. WheresMyBeer

Okay -- sounds good, thanks for the help.

Do you have any experiences with Type X's? IE Reliability, SQ, and so forth?

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

If it was me I would get a single 10 of higher quality, Alpine is good but you could do better. Something such as a 10-inch, RE XXX, SX;Adire Audio Brahma, or an Aluminum Type Eclipse Subwoofer.

Or a single 12 of the previous mentioned, a 12 inch sub should be able to fit very easily in a truck.

10. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

get a 12 inch brahma that way when the time comes youu can put it in a small sealed box for your truck