subsonic, phase, and low pass

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mojo, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Mojo

Mojo New Member

im running 2 12" kicker solobaric L7's in a sealed box 1.0cu ft with a hifonics brutus bx1000d.

im familar with the gain/level, bass boost, low pass (a little), but how do i go about the subsonics and phase? i tried toggling with these 2 settings on my amp but i really hear no difference:confused:

so i just left the subsonic/phase off (fully counter clockwise). what are these 2 settings for/do?

2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

you're running a sealed box so the subsonic should be off, and phase off unless your bass sounds distorted.

3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Subsonic filter cuts off all the frequencies below the point where it is set. Since you are running a sealed box, you don't need to worry about it, leave it where you have it now. Phase you can set wherever it sounds best, having it at 0 is wired normally, switching it to 180 would be like switching the positive and negative wires on your sub, or your amp.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

GlocksRock is right. Subsonic filters are really only important on ported boxes because it protects the sub from damaging itself by trying to go down too low. The phase is there because in some instances things will sound better if your sub is out of phase with your main speakers. This means when the speakers are going out, the sub is going in. Wave cancellation is the cause of this problem. To determine if you should adjust the phase sit in the drivers seat and have a friend switch back and forth with bass heavy music playing (there needs to be sound from your mains as well though). Don't have him tell you which setting he is on, but tell him when it sounds the loudest. This is the best setting.