Subs in trunk?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by byrnz, Nov 5, 2003.

1. byrnz

byrnz Three stacks of high society

Hey first post here. I was wondering how muffled subs would sound in the trunk of a car like a sedan compared to the trunk of an SUV?

2. careface

careface Active Member

:ugh: like the 5749547 others that do it, just fine

3. Tiggeroo

Tiggeroo Guest

It doesn't sound as good at all, obviously. That's why people need to use big subs. I have a 4" sub in the cabin and it's excellent...not terribly loud...if I wanted to be loud, I'd go with an 8"

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:ugh2:

I've always preferred owning SUV's over cars.. and love the way a sub sounds in an SUV...

..but as bioz said, there are billions of people who have subs in their car, and it sounds fine.

5. SPECulator

SPECulator Guest

nothing sounds better than two 12's in a hatchback (until you get outside of the vehicle) Good SPL can be achieved with any vehicle, its all in the amp. I prefer the acoustics of cars over SUV's, theres too much dead air to move. Face your subs towards the rear of your car and it will sounds better.

6. careface

careface Active Member

i have one 12" audiobahn in my regular cab truck, and its loud as hell inside, it shakes my hair around, but when i step 10 feet outside it i can barely hear it. why?

7. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

as a person who prefers sedans over trucks subs in the trunk work just fine. Yes they are a little more quieter than in a truck in a sense. it all comes down to the sub, the amp, the type of box and the general accoustics of the car. In my TL i have the bose sub that was in the rear deck. now the fact that I am no longer using it means the space that it once occupied acts now as a port . so it gets quite loud in the car with just a single 12. probably not as loud as it could be in a truck, but you have to think that where that may hurt my spl, it also helps sq because you would have more to disapate distortion that happens at certain frequencies. this was evident yesterday when myself and another installer at work both put my box in each of our cars (my tl and his Blazer Xtreme) and the difference was negligible at best.

8. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

Yeah thats not entirely true. The design/size of the box has a lot to do with the sound the sub puts out.

9. 04

04 Guest

Actually, its not all in the amplifier. The woofer(s), the enclosure size and type along with the car environment will all affect the output.

What is "Dead Air"?

As for facing the subwoofers towards the rear, that may sound best in some cases, but not in all, you will have to experiment. However, if you cross your subwoofer over low enough, it wont even matter on the placement.

10. SPECulator

SPECulator Guest

In retrospect, i was ignorant to say that. Its not All in the amp. I look at the amp as the heart of the system, of course box design and sub specs play a major role as well. But you can have the best sub in the most acoustically (sp?) sound box possible, under power it and it will all be in vain. On the other hand, take a good sub, throw it in a crappy homemade box not to spec and power the hell out of it and it will still pound. It wont be efficient, it wount be accurate, but it will pound. Just match your sub(s) and amp and try a few placements, you'll find what works best for you. I was refering to dead air as just air space that needs to be moved. like listen to a setup in cicruit city, then listen to it in an SUV and then in the trunk of a car, it will sounds totally different in each install. And yes, bass waves are non-directional, a crossover and some tuning will do wonders.