Subs in a Ranger

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Morphius, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Morphius

Morphius Jackal

Hey guys, I've recently restored a '98 Ranger Standard Cab Step-Side and put in an all new audio system. Due to lack of money ;) I wired the system for a subwoofer but didn't install one. I like the stock look of the MTX Thunderform that sits behind the driver seat, but I've heard from a few people the MTX mades some crappy subs, so my question is what alternatives do I have to fit a nice sub in that small space while retaining the stock look?

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

waht about a noraml truck sub box with factory match carpet on it

and how do you restore a 98?

3. Morphius

Morphius Jackal

a normal sub box makes it an extremely tight fit, thought that may be what I end up doing.

lol I always get funny looks when I say I "restored" a 98. I bought if off a used car lot, it was originally a diesel mechanics, so naturally the whole interior was stained, and it also somehow got oversprayed and was flecked with grey paint that ate down to the metal, as well as a few minor engine problems, so I basically took the whole thing apart, sandblasted and painted the frame, then cleaned/replaced everything as I put it back on. And that's how I restored a '98

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

what about an under seat mount you will also need room for an amp too go to sounddomain.com and look at otehr installs people ahve doen

once you sort threw the carp there are some good ideas

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

there are some makers that make factory-looking boxes. i can't remember who it is, but they make one for S10's that is almost the same in appearance as the cover for the jack and tools behind the passenger's seat. this sub box is available as a driver's side, or passenger's side box if you want to take the tools out. it does, like all boxes for std. cab pickups, severely restrict space behind the seats.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

qlogic makes them i think but ther epricy as hell

i guess it aldepends on how stock you want it to look