Subs help/suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Udamrrrite, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Udamrrrite

Udamrrrite Newly used

I ordered the alpine m300 amp. It's 150w @ 4 ohms or 300w @ 2 ohms. I was wondering which subs would be good with this amp. I am looking specifically at JL subs. Would the amp be able to power 2 10w3? or 1 12w3? Help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

2. 04

04 Guest

:)

That amplifier will power any subwoofer imaginable that has an impedence above 2 ohms. ;) The true question is, how loud will it get the drivers you are going to be using? The amplifier will power either of those JL drivers, the two 10" or the 12". The real question is, will it power them to be loud enough for your tastes? If you listen to your music very softly, then I bet it would be enough. But you probably like it loud, so it might not be. The really ironic thing is, you will get louder with that same 300w amplifier and 4 10" for instance than with 2 10"! And that is a FACT!

Also, the 2 10" would be louder than the 12" and would be able to handle more power. The box for the 2 10" would PROBABLY need to be a bit bigger though.

3. Udamrrrite

Udamrrrite Newly used

i don't listen to my music too loud. just need a little depth to my OEM system.

4. 04

04 Guest

Well, in that case, either of those JL audio setups will work. I personally would go with the 12" since it will probably need a smaller enclosure and will cost less. Also, be sure to get a woofer with either a 2ohm voice coil or dual 4 ohm voice coils.