subs and amps

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by abysmal, May 18, 2002.

1. abysmal

abysmal Guest

Do you think that the Alpine MRD-500 V-12 Accuclass D Mono Amp will be able to give substantial power to 2 Alpine Type R 12" Subs (SWR-1221D)

I was thinking about going with a setup similar to this. Any help is appreciated.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

nah man, that won work...i heard that 300W (RMS) wont even satisfy those type r's. look at rockford fosgate amps, theyre real good quality and are really underrated so u should giv about 400W RMS to each sub. (RF amps r really about 100W mor than they list em at)

:OP:

3. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

This is the only part I believe to be false. 250-300 watts will be fine on those subwoofers. Granted, they can handle more. But they certainly don't NEED it.

You could probably find an RF amp of equal or greater power for less money than Alpine if you shop around online.

4. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

Hahaha, RF good quality? Yea right. Underrated? Use to be. Now they are trash. Stay away from Fosgate. A few years ago, a partner of RF got pist and left the company. He also took his amplifier patents with him. Now he is at MTX. So old school Fosgate is new MTX.

I use to sell and install RF. When the amps where oval shaped, black in color with red writing....they were the shit (i.e. Punch 60). But when they went to the grey with end caps on either side, they turned to sh*t. Always getting hot and cutting off. Always sent back to RF for warranty repair......trust me its trash.

Go with MTX, PPI, or Zapco.

Just my $.02

5. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Interesting. I have yet to have a single problem with them.

6. shorty420

shorty420 Guest

the jbl bp series amps seem to be a good deal.

7. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

Well good....at least RF has satisfied some of its customers.

8. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

JBL's are a KILLER deal.