Subnetting some PC's to keep them out of Main Network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1BadC4, Aug 23, 2005.

1. 1BadC4

1BadC4 Member

Quick question - I've got 4 computers on a network, that I want to CHEAPLY subnet from the rest of the network, so that they still share the internet connection, but are unable to interact with the main network. These are computers used by elderly people in a retirement building and they crash them daily with all kinds of stuff. Got any ideas? Key being not too expensive, their budget is tiny. THANKS!

2. 1BadC4

1BadC4 Member

actually now that i reread my own post, might i have to create a new domain and get a new router to route a whole new network config to the internet gateway?

3. chips

chips ...

use a switch and use static ips :dunno:

4. 1BadC4

1BadC4 Member

I have a switch, for these computers, but Static Ip's for a new subnet won't work unless i route that to the DSL router to get to the internet. the gateway is unreachable from any subnet i would make up.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

use a managed switch, and just run vlan's. You should be able to have your DHCP server still hand out ip's for both networks. Then just dual-home your router with an ip for both networks. pretty standard stuff :dunno:

6. 1BadC4

1BadC4 Member

I'm sure it's simple, just one of those things i'd never run across before...so i wasn't sure of the easiest way...thanks though.