MMA submissions from mount on a much larger opponent v.Ideas??

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by adrenalin112, Aug 2, 2007.

1. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

me: 5' 10" 150
    opponent: 5' 11" 220

in GI... i was able to maintain positional control for the most part (had his back, had side, but most time was spent in full mount), however i was having a tough time submitting him.

armbar was out of the question for me, i didnt feel like i had a secure base in the S-mount setup. His wrist/forearm was too large to manipulate into a keylock.

and i made a mistake setting up the arm triangle, got swept, lost guard in the scramble to him in side control on me, gassed, and got keylocked.

in hindsight now... i think maybe i should have attempted:
    -a cross-arm collar choke from mount
    -baseball choke from side mount
    -transitioned to side control as i was setting up that arm triangle.

any other favorite ways to submit a much larger opponent from mount/side mount? :wavey:

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

just pressure the cross collar choke... once they get nervous spin for a fast armbar. of course its going to be hard to put a tremendous amount of pressure on someone much bigger than you.. you have to catch them when they do stupid things instead

3. chechen

come train with me fool.. no one on OT wants to train with me even though they live close by :wtc:

4. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Dude I would love to!

I have like no friends that I can get into deep mma/grappling conversations with. I host ufc/boxing fight night parties at my pad and while my guy friends like the fight games... My gf knows way more than them because she has learned a lot about the sport by association.

I trained in santa fe springs at new breed for about 6 months, took a break, moved residence then went to west coast jj in upland, took a break and now I'm at gauntlet bjj in upland. So far so good at this new camp.

5. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Yeah I was trying to pressure and frustrate the other dude by working position before submission, but the trainer (wander braga) was urging me to push my pace and submit.

I like your idea of really setting up the armbar with the choke, I know the technique but I get major brainfarts sometimes. I'm gonna keep rollin with the big guys it really makes me work the double options to continually be a step ahead of my opponent.

6. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Hey man, you pay for my airplane ticket and I'm there at your house ready to KICK YOUR ASS!!

7. chechen

if you can come to culver city on sunday around 11 or 12 noon.. then we can train. i got a key :)

8. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Hey chechen, u going to the worlds?

9. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member