Subaru legacy questions

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by anemic, Nov 1, 2003.

1. anemic

anemic Look just because were bereaved doesn't make us sa OT Supporter

My grand cherokee got wrecked and im looking to downsize, I've been looking at Subaru legacy/outbacks (colorado vehicle to take snowboarding thats good on gas) but I was told tonight that they have head gasket problems. Anyone own one of these or heard any stories, I am very curious and am looking to buy something as soon as possible so any comments or suggestions would be a big help. TIA

2. sduquette

sduquette Guest

Never really heard that before. I beleive if you are looking at a newer one, they have really great engines. I know some of the older subarus like my '88 have blow headgaskets, but the legacy should be a different engine.

3. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

4. xman

xman Guest

Never head of ANY newer Subaru having head gasket problems.

Legacys are really sweet cars. My next new car will definitely be an STi Legacy. Whenever they become available in the US.

5. Ruination

Ruination New Member

No problems with mine at all, and I havn't heard of too many other's with head gasket problems. Legacy's are tanks, especially with the bomb-proof EJ22 :cool:

6. daNattyFatty

daNattyFatty New Member

the current legacies ARE NOT sweet :fawk:

the new one coming over in the spring and summer will be ;)

7. One13

One13 New Member

^^Tell me more.

8. tmat

tmat Guest

98 Legacy/Outback with DOHC 2.5 litre engines had major head gasket problems which seemed to appear at 70-80k miles. In 99, the 2.5 litre engines were redesigned and they came with SOHC with more reliable head gasket. Since then, I haven't heard of head gasket problems.

In Spring 2004, the new Legacy will be coming out with 2.5litre Turbo engine based on WRX-STi. Currently, Forester XT and (soon Baja) are equipped with 2.5 litre Turbo engine making about 210-220hp. Appearently, the Legacy engine will be making 250hp, but I'm not really sure on that issue yet. The Legacy will also get a major face-lift, and a new transmission.

9. daNattyFatty

daNattyFatty New Member

i've heard that the turbo legacy will be held back till summer. the n/a version will come in spring. but as usual, no one knows for sure

10. daNattyFatty

daNattyFatty New Member

go here

11. Seth W

Seth W Guest

I used to work at a tuning shop and my boss used to be a head tech at a local dealership. The problem is that the head gasket was a 3 ply for that year (97 I think) which was the only year that type was used, later years fixed that problem. Knowing subaru they should have a recall on that, check with the place you get it from it their is such a recall and if it's been done. The legacy is a good car and with some bolt on mods is even better. www.rs25.com is another good subaru site, it's more suted for the 2.5 motors as well and their tends to be less shitheads their than nasioc