Subaru gas leak?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by zmiller91, Dec 7, 2008.

1. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

So, i just purchased a 02 wrx wagon on friday, and yesterday i smelt gas in the cabin. So, i pulled over and popped the hood to see if i could find any gas residue, there was none, i looked under the car for drips, there was none. I thought it was because i flooded my engine when i stalled (first manual car) but the smell kept coming through the vents. After i get driving i cannot smell it, however, i can smell it at idle. I searched NASIOC and they said it was the gas lines contracting and what not, and this seemed to be a popular malfunction.

So, my question is, have any of you had a problem with this? If so, how did you fix the problem?

2. nofriends

nofriends OT Supporter

You'd get a better answer staying on NASIOC. I have a catless 02 WRX so I'm used to funky smells coming out of my car.

Can you verify that it has the stock downpipe? I can only smell my exhaust/engine when I am at a stop light, if you cant smell it while moving then I wouldnt be to worried.

3. Mint

Mint Active Member

Theres a recall for it on 02-03 WRX's. Take it to the dealer. Its a rubber feed line that developes a a small hole in COLD weather.

You probably dont smell it when its hot out.

However check if you have an up-pipe leak, I had that problem two a couple times with my subaru.

Enjoy the car its tons of fun to drive :)

4. lol wut

lol wut OT Supporter

That, or it's a fuel injector o-ring.

5. bjonesy77

bjonesy77 New Member

happens in my 04 as well, forget about it.

6. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

it doesnt sound too serious take it to a dealer or leave it be

7. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

8. chaggot

chaggot New Member

I noticed this as well in my 03 WRX. Dealer said it was due to the cold weather contracting the fuel lines and causing a small leak or something, Im not really sure. It only happened once.

I'm more worried about the shaking/jolt that happens when I get on the gas in 2nd/3rd right around when boost kicks in. I'm not racing it or anything, just giving it gas and it shakes some. It did it a few weeks ago when I got on it to pass a car and the CEL flashed for about 20 secs then went off. Dealer said they couldn't replicate the problem and it didn't throw a code. Oh well, bout to sell it and buy something new anyway.