Sub Woofer: Punch or Rumble?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Teknék, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Teknék

Teknék Guest

how can someone optimize a subwoofer to give more punch? and, how can someone optimize a subwoofer to give more rumble?

i personally like punch, it's a lot more clean and it doesn't fade away from any trebble. is a rumbling subwoofer just a bad sub or what? also, are there certain brands of subs that give a better punch, what size is a good choice, and does it just take a box to put it in to optimize punch and lower the rumbling?

i know my question is pretty general, but any help would be appricated. thanks in advance, peace out.
  2. 04

04 Guest

Dude, your post really doesnt make much sense. Typically the people who like a lot of "punch" like high Q boxes that exaggerate the bass in the range of 60 to 100hz. So basically, if you like "punch" build a really small sealed box. You will have great mechanical power handling, making it difficult to bottom the driver. You are not going to get much low frequency extension, however, even with cabin gain.

As for "rumble" I would assume you would get that from creating an oversized sealed or vented enclosure and then turning up the bass boost? An inproperly designed bandpass enclosure would do the same thing possibly... Could you be more specific on your definition of rumble? :confused:
  3. Teknék

Teknék Guest

naw, you're helping out pretty good 042801. but, can you specify on what a "Q Box" is for me?

and, you were right on the money when you were talking about "rumbling". thanks for you help, peace out.
  4. 04

04 Guest

Sorry I wasnt very clear. Q is just refering to the bandwidth of a system. For example in your box case, Qtc is the actual parameter. It refers to how steep the rolloff rate of an enclosure is. For example, a box with a Qtc of .707 is critically damped, and is known as a "butterworth" due to its rolloff of 12dB an octave below the f3 point of the enclosure. An enclosure with a Qtc of say 1.1 would be underdamped and will have a peak before the f3 of the enclosure. The rolloff rate will also be much steeper than the 12dB an octave of a butterworth. An enclosure with a Qtc of say .5 will be overdamped and will have a very shallow rolloff rate below the enclosure f3, less than the 12dB an octave of the butterworth. Also keep in mind that these are made in free space, in a room or car, your milage will vary. :)

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2002