Sub Placement Question (home related)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I am sort of limited on space so..

Should the sub be to my left or right, infront of me, or can it even be behind me?

I am not really considering putting it behind me but its a fair question.

Where should it be in aspect to furniture?

Does any of this really matter?

Just a basic "where do I put my sub" question.

This is for a computer set up (not in an office) and putting it under my desk will not work.

I heard corners work really well and I could put mine in a corner if that'd work well 2.

Hsu VTF-2 Downfiring Subwoofer

Anyone have tips for tuning and hooking up etc?

Would this be a good cable choice?:

Also should I worry about cross over frequencys, my receiver has no such thing like preventing everything under 80hz from going to my main speakers etc.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2005
  2. 04

04 Guest

I would suggest trying placement in the front corners of your room to begin with. Proper placement is usually subjective anyways, so I'd try it out in several different locations and see which one you like best.

As for the cable, that one will do just fine. Looks nice too :o

And for the crossover, if your receiver doesnt have a low pass filter, the subwoofer will amost certainly have one built in. Which receiver are you using?
  3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Harman Kardon HK3480 Stereo Receiver (music is all i listen to on it, this beast will power anything :wiggle: )
  4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

Jul 15, 2001
    back in the day the way you did sub placement was... place sub in the middle of the room, get on all fours, crawl around until you find the loudest spot, place sub there.
  5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i read about doing that, considering the sound is omni directional i read you put the sub right where you will be sitting, then find the loudest point from there.

This question is a little off-topic but in general what kind of decibel rating would be considered a "loud" output from a sub in a home environment, i know in a car you can hit 130db pretty easy but in a home I think it's a little different :drool:
  6. bearsdidit

bearsdidit Active Member OT Supporter

May 8, 2004
    i'm new to HT myself but I read 115 or so would be consider 'loud.' Personally I'd rather have sound quality then something abnoxiously loud.
  7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

me 2

but back to my other questiom, I am going to need some sort of high pass filter?

and why do i have a L and R sub out mono??

am i going to need a different cable?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2005
  8. 04

04 Guest

Have you checked the manual? I'd guess that both the L and R are both in fact summed mono channels, and you could run either one with one cable. But I would certainly check the manual to make sure, else you would be getting only half the sound :hs:
  9. 04

04 Guest

Well the loudest spot probably wouldnt be the best spot as far as sound quality goes. And at higher frequencies, the bass becomes less and less omnidirectional, so placement in a room can make a difference. But yes, if you go low enough in frequency, the placement wont matter as much.

The decibel rating that is good depends on several factors. First, what frequency is it being measured at? 120dB at 20hz is MUCH harder to get than 120dB at 40hz. Also, the size and dimensions of the room will greatly affect what sound pressure levels you will get at which frequency. It also depends on where you are measuring the subwoofer. At 1 meter away from the subwoofer with the microphone, you will most likely get higher levels than at say 4 meters. And finally, where the subwoofer is placed in the room will affect the readings as well.

So as you can see, comparing SPL levels between different subwoofers in different rooms can be quite hard to do :o
  10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

"Subwoofer Out: Connect these jacks to the line-level inputs of a powered subwoofer. If an external amplifer is used connect these jacks to the subwoofer amplifier inputs. When a single, mono subwoofer is used or if the subwoofer or its amplifier has only a single line-level input jack make the connection the bottom jack on the HK 3480"

My current sub only has one input so i had to move the cable down a notch, then i played a bass heavy song "DMX - Aint No Sunshine" and i noticed a cut off on my speakers, normally id be able to see some deep excursion but they were punchier with the low level at my sub so i guess that takes care of that.

All I should need is a single RCA cable then.