GUN suarez int.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cabriolet, Jan 11, 2007.

1. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

anyone ever take any training from him?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Among his criminal convinctions I've heard from stiffed vendors and students telling stories about having his students shoot over his shoulders and things like that. Thats all hear say, the following is a little more solid. Make whatever you want from it:

Former Officer Pleads Guilty to Fraud Charges

By Teresa Rochester

Sept. 27 -- A former Santa Monica police officer has pleaded guilty to Workers Compensation fraud, money laundering and grand theft and will begin serving a year-long jail sentence for the crimes next week.

Gabriel Saurez, a decorated 12-year veteran of the SMPD, will report to Los Angeles County Jail to begin serving his sentence on Monday as part of a plea agreement reached last week in Los Angeles County Criminal Court. Saurez, who recently resigned from the force, also was sentenced to five years probation.

Saurez, his wife Cheryl Saurez and Officer Jason Comer pleaded not guilty in April to charges of conspiracy, Workers Compensation fraud and grand theft. Saurez also faced two additional fraud charges.

Like her husband, Cheryl Saurez agreed to plea guilty during last Friday's hearing. She was ordered to serve one day in jail and also was sentenced to five years probation.

Comer's charges were dropped in June, and he remains on paid leave pending the conclusion of an administrative investigation, according to Police Chief James T. Butts Jr.

As part of the agreement, the charges of conspiracy against the Suarezes were dismissed, as were the two additional counts of Workers Compensation filed against Gabriel Saurez, said DA spokesperson Sandi Gibbons.

The Saurezes paid a $100 fine and $112, 250.01 in restitution on Friday, according to Deputy Dist. Atty. Ellen St. John.

Chief Butts said Saurez's plea was a testament to the "hard work, time and effort that the risk management and our criminal division officers have put into this case.

"The good thing is the City of Santa Monica has received full restitution for all wages that were paid in this fraudulent claim," Butts said. "The jail sentence that was imposed by the judge sent a strong message that this type of misconduct will not be tolerated by the City of Santa Monica,"

Gabriel Suarez allegedly worked as a gun tactics trainer while receiving Workers Compensation for a slip and fall accident in the SMPD's locker room in 1999. Cheryl Suarez allegedly received payments for work done by her husband through a company she never worked for. The dismissed charges against Comer were based on allegations that he received and disbursed money for Saurez.

The Saurez case stemmed from a long-term investigation of Workers Compensation fraud within the police department launched late last year by the department, the District Attorneys Office and the State Department of Insurance.

The investigation also has resulted in charges filed against Officer Richard Robert Brulato, who pleaded not guilty in June to two counts of Workers Compensation Fraud.

Butts said the investigation is "definitely ongoing.

"We have other cases we are actively looking at and investigating. Fortunately at this point those cases are few," said Butts adding that they would be vigorously pursued.

Copyright ©1999, 2000, 2001 surfsantamonica.com. All Rights Reserved.

Also of interest:
    http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=81;t=000177

3. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Not gonna touch this one.

4. Platinum_Thunder

See, I have done stuff that is similar, but more dangerous than that...and to someone that is not in the class, it does look like a psychotic thing to do. It depends on who is teaching, who is shooting, skill level of the shooter, etc. The real world is not a 180 degree range.

I am not going to discuss this on the forum, but if you want to take it to PM I can explain better.

5. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

From the articles I've read about him, that seemed to be more of his style of teaching. Not strictly following the 4 rules, because you can't follow them in the real world during conflict. But as long as you follow most of them, your still ok. I.E. if you sweep someone, but your finger is off the trigger, the gun is not going to magically go off. It kind of interested me, but it does seem like all it would take is one dumb ass not paying attention to ND and fuck it all up.

Interesting articles on his character, so is the grand theft he was charged with the holsters? Or are those separate issues?

6. Platinum_Thunder

Like I said, to most people looking in and not understanding the point of drill, will freak the fuck out and talk shit about it. Those same people don't have a clue. Drills like this ARE dangerous as hell, but think of it this way...when you leave the range, you don't think twice about getting in your car and driving 60mph with oncoming traffic also going 60mph.

7. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

what do you think about the "criminal background". All I've gotten from reading it is "mall ninjas" vs "elitist prick cops" pissing on each other about who sucks and who doesn't

:shrug:

I guess, does his background effect his training, i.e. has he ever screwed over a customer, and how is his training? Seems no one has ever made a first person comment about his training being shitty, or him ripping them off, it's all hearsay 2nd or 3rd perspective. :dunno:

The whole reason I ask is because he's doing a pistol course this year in my city, and wanted to see what people thought of his training, but all this other stuff could raise some other issues? :dunno:

8. Platinum_Thunder

I think he's a former SEAL...that alone is enough to not take a class from him :fawk: j/k

9. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Who did you take your training from, that doesn't have a criminal background? lollercopter

10. Platinum_Thunder

I don't take classes from criminals....or at least they haven't been caught :dunno::o

11. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I'll second that, the last thing I need after a deadly force encounter is the other party to start calling into question the training I've recieved. I personally don't agree with at least one of his close quarter shooting moves, I forgot the name. I'm going to train to ALWAYS be clear of the muzzle, that way if in use I'm not...I'm most likely only interfering a little bit, or not at all.

12. Platinum_Thunder

PM me the decription.

13. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

No need for a PM. I can't remember the name or what it was called, this was from a debate with a few people I regularly train with and one who has trained with Suarez and SouthNarc. The move was similar to a SN flinch where you palm strike to the head and shoot from a retention position at an upward angle. The theory was that if you train to always have your hand up high and the muzzle at an angle you'll be safe. What I don't like about that is the varience in human heights. If I train to always shoot at a certain angle that could vary from low chest to over the head depending on the height of my attacker. Not to mention my "strike" hand can vary heights over a foot and in some circumstances the 2 overlap. For this type of work I train to palm strike, pull my hand back, then shoot.

This is all going from memory, so if I've messed up his technique I apologize.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't really see the need to take everything to PM but here's my take on it as a potential student. There are plenty of instructors who use immersive teaching methods while keeping themselves behind the muzzle at all times. If an instructor puts himself in front of the muzzle there is a possibility for him to get shot. As a student I can't ignore the fact that if I flinch or something terrible happens I'm in a world of trouble. Even if someone just gets wounded the insurance company would eat you alive for medical costs for playing william tell. Past that as a student I'd want to see a shoot house wired for video or training done with simunition type rounds. I don't think the student should ever be faced with a situation where an errant shot directly in front of them may impact a person.

15. Platinum_Thunder

Oh, F that. What happens if the guy with the knife is like 5'3? Nice way to put a hole in your hand. IMHO, the palm strike is only to create distance to get the gun into action. I mean if the gun is already out and ready, why do I need a palm strike also? I am not even personally a fan of the Farnam block with the support hand. I understand the theory, but I prefer my support limb to be on my chest. Now don't get me wrong, this can come in handy in some situations...like one that you are not able to move. I try to practice a lot of different things so at least I am familiar with them.

16. Platinum_Thunder

Like I said, I have had training very similar to this. I can't think of a more stressful time in which I have HAD to make hits. I you carry a gun in public, and are forced to use it in public, you better fucking make your hits.

17. Platinum_Thunder

BTW, I am not trying to sound "cool" by the training I have had. I just feel that some of the stuff I have done makes me a lot more prepared than Joe CCWer..and would be more willing to try things should the situation come up.