A&P Style

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ericande, Nov 15, 2008.

1. ericande

ericande Active Member

I was looking at this list of 14 "photography masters" http://abduzeedo.com/14-photography-masters and what struck me was how clear their style was. Like a given photographer on the list or not I think it's easy to see how recognizable their photographs are. You could probably be shown a random photo not shown on that site and match it up with the photographer (or at least know it's one of a 2 or 3 of them.)

This got me thinking about whether or not I have a style and I don't. I think part of developing a style is important from a commercial perspective, people want to hire you because they like the look you give them. But I think part of it is just developed naturally as your photography experience increases and your skills along with it.

Do you feel you have a style to your photography? Is it intentional or just a result your experience?

2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I'm slowly getting there. I was slowly circling it for the longest time, but the more I shoot the more I gravitate towards a central style.

I have a set process for all of my post that reigns in most of my images to the same style and look, but my subject matter is all over the fucking place. I don't really have a single genre that I want to shoot.

Now I just have to figure that out and i'll be set.

3. themolsen

themolsen New Member

It doesn't fit me to create a "style". it doesn't fit my personality, my ways, my beliefs, anything

4. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i do have a style i want, unable to achieve.
    that does not count.

i like the old look. heres what i mean, swirly distorted bokeh. this is straight off the camera. (not my pic)

[​IMG]
    i like my pics to look from another era. thats why i shoot so much kodachrome.

heres one straight off MY camera. notice im slowly getting there. (needs post processing)
    http://upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/October_2008/1Image4.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

thats weird. my eyes hurt.

but it's definitely distinctive, and I think if the focal point was more interesting it would be pretty cool.

6. Bloke

Bloke Banned

seems everyone is using over corrected modern glass, but i really think the old even slower glass is charming. its got more character and seems better built. each one i have is unique. i like having to work with thier faults, not around them. after all everything looks the same at f11

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

No, it's great, if I were you, i'd run with it.

I just think it overpowers the subject in this particular image. I find the distorted dark tree surrounded by the blurry, swirly blown out leaves and sky MUCH more interesting than the fence post design.

What exactly causes it? I've seen some other crazy bokeh too... Maybe seek out a variety of those crazy lenses.

8. Bloke

Bloke Banned

if you want to know, that was the canon 50/1.8 FIRST version. it sure has come a long way. i dont think any lens designed after '70 had the swirls. however how about the popular sonnar look? 1.5/50

[​IMG]
    zeiss still sell sonnars today

9. Jarg0n

Jarg0n New Member

By "style" do you mean "Lightroom Presets?"

10. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

:rofl:

11. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

yeah, i feel i do have a pretty distinct style.

It wasn't a completely conscious decision on how it first came along, but it was a conscious decision to stick to it.

and you're right, having a specific style is a big deal. The photographers that become well known or get paid the most money are those who are hired for their specific style. People will come to them because of HOW they shoot something, not just that they CAN.