Style noob needs help on college style

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SolidRanger, Apr 17, 2009.

1. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

Hey TSL, I've got a bit of a dilemma.

I'm just about to finish my 2nd semester of college and I think I scare my fellow classmates due to my appearance. I'm 6'5 and 200lbs white guy with a shaved head (due to balding :rolleyes:). My wardrobe consists almost completely of death metal band tshirts (black), jeans or camo cargo shorts, and either boots or van's slipons or authentics.

I went to high school in a small town with only 800 students in the whole high school, so everyone knew me and I had a ton of friends...although some of the more preppie students nicknamed me Scary Bob, even though I've always been a nice guy.

However now I'm a student at a university with 20,000 students and I barely know anybody. I think I only have 1 person I could call a friend here. I live off campus and I commute so I don't exactly have dormmates to know.

I think its time for a style change, to soften my image a bit to be a bit more approachable. I say so because a few days ago I had something to do after school that required me to sort of dress up. So I wore like a green polo, jeans, and my vans to school and people were really different to me. People said hi to me in the hallways, girls smiled at me, they didn't just stare straight ahead and ignore me like they usually do. I honestly think people think I'm like some sort of psycho who's going to pull a Viriginia Tech, so I think people ignore me for that reason.

So my question is: What should I wear? Where should I shop? People I know keep suggesting American Eagle and I notice that pretty much everyone at my school wears American Eagle but at the same time people tell me not to shop there saying the clothes are cheap, bro-ish, and way overdone. So what do you guys think?

If it helps I sort of dig the stuff Lacoste makes but I don't know anywhere that sells it around here.

2. dibalicious

dibalicious sexy crew

we can tell you what we think looks good, but we can't tell you what you'll be comfortable wearing. if you're not comfortable with what you're wearing it'll show.
    just take a look through the 'what are you wearing today' thread. lots of good stuff in there, just be sure to ignore david's posts. (a perfect example of not being comfortable with what you're wearing)
    take a look through here as well:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=40802&page=2415
    and find looks that you like.

most importantly, do your research on sizing. you can wear great looking stuff but if it doesn't fit you well, it'll look sloppy. most people here prefer stuff more slim-fitting (but not tight) but if you're most comfortable in looser stuff, then go for that, just be sure to give everything a try.

start with upgrading your basics...get some nice tees (avoid logos and such), a nice pair of jeans (we all love raw denim 'round here). try to avoid bootcut, it's unnecessary. straight cut or tapered will work fine unless you're fat.

3. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

Scary Bob? I wanna see pics of you :rofl:

[​IMG]

4. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

north face fleece + jeans

5. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly constitutes a "nice tee"? A plain solid colored tee? A graphic tee?

I keep hearing the raves about raw denim but it really seems like too huge of a time and money investment for me. How about good old Levi's?

6. dibalicious

dibalicious sexy crew

I'm not much of a huge fan of most graphic tees.
    stuff like this is ok I think: http://reborn.ws/pix/details/_MGL0004.jpg
    I prefer solid tees that fit nice. I woudlnt spend much on a t-shirt, I like plain american apparel tees, but you can get some really soft tees from some designers.

nothin wrong with levis, they have tons of fits. you can get raw levis, just buy em, wear em, and wash them whenever you feel like you need to. 501s are a nice fit for most people :dunno:

7. BBSLM

BBSLM New Member

8. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

9. BBSLM

BBSLM New Member

not really.

10. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

I came here from 4chan, so I really don't need 4chan copypasta

11. BBSLM

BBSLM New Member

oh so youre too good for the basics, but still cant manage to dress yourself. good luck.:rofl:

12. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

Not what I'm saying at all. It's just that chart makes no damn sense to me

13. everlong

everlong nice crew

I can give you my shopping list for this summer.
    Chinos from NN.07 in different colors.
    Some nice shirts
    A couple of shoes from Tom's
    'Boat shoes' in blue and white

14. brokengold

brokengold New Member

/thread

15. BBSLM

BBSLM New Member

oh ok, thats how it sounded.

a lot of solid beginner info is in that picture. basic shit to buy, online sites to buy it from, how to get deals, and where online you can go for inspiration. pretty much anything anyone recommends is going to be a translation of that picture in sentence or bullet form. unless you want to jump go Style Zeitgeist status overnight (you dont) then its all there.

if you like lacoste, find their stocklist. go to their website or email for this. they probably have a store locator on their website.

your best bet is going to be browsing What Are You Wearing Today threads on various forums, finding what you like, narrowing it down to fits that you could pull off based on your bodytype/age/career/location/etc and working aspects of those looks into your own style.

16. dibalicious

dibalicious sexy crew

:werd: can't stress this enough
    threadstarter, go do the above, post your favourites in this thread and we'll help you locate the pieces or similar things.

17. AndrewLD

AndrewLD New Member

18. BBSLM

BBSLM New Member

i uploaded that picture. does that mean i have a trojan?

19. DrK_Mrk_iV

DrK_Mrk_iV OT Supporter

You don't have one, because you blow all your money on alcohol, girls, drugs, concert tickets, and roadtrips. Really.

Those who actually dress nice on campus look out of place, because it's campus after all and those who bum it look out of place because they look like bums. It's really a no win situation unless you pull the regular tennis shoes, shirt and jeans look. Works every time.

20. steezebag

steezebag New Member

not true my dude. I dress better than most people id say and i don't spend a huge amount on clothes. Way less than those hollister bros

21. everlong

everlong nice crew

I would rather look well dressed and out of place than going like this every day to play it safe.