stupidest mistake at the gym?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by igo4bmx, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

post if you dare :)

I was thinking about how my third year working out, I was really sick for about two weeks and I came back to the gym and tried to lift my normal weights.
    I did two sets of chest and then bumped the bench to 185lbs which I was NORMALLY able to do 6 reps
    i did 5, tried for the 6th, and i couldn't bring it up.
    I tried to slide to bar back to the bench rests ( the lower ones) and I MISSED and the bar slowly landed on my mouth and teeth.

i finally was able to slide the bar one side and let it flip over :rofl:
    my mouth was bleeding pretty bad.

2. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

While still having balance issues cuz of my fucked up leg I was doing squats and with a 45 on each side (so yea only 135) I managed to fall over :o

3. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

Well this wasnt at the gym... but when I was in 9th grade I was benchpressing on one of those full body machines at home and one of my wrists flipped (think of a backwards clean) causing one side of the bar to dipp, spill all the weight off of that side, sending me flying sideways out of the bench (since I was still holding on and one side became MUCH heavyer instantly).

4. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

riped a few pairs of shorts right down the ass

5. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

me and my friends would workout 5 days a week and after a couple of months we saw no strength/muscle gains. THat was when i was in 9th grade.

6. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Smacked GOGZ in the face with a purple band.

7. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

hurt my back trying to learn OLY squats several months ago. deadlifts have not gone up since.

8. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

I was in a power rack warming up for front squats with the bar. After I had done some reps with the bar I racked it and did it without the bar to stretch a bit. I squatted down and lost my balance and went to grab the pins to steady myself and then I remembered that they weren't locked in so if i pulled on them they would just pull out of the holes. At the point my balance was completely gone and I just fell on my ass.

9. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

Missing the hooks to put back a bar on one side while warming up with 225. Side of bar SLAMMED into the safety bar and two 45's slid off and crashed to the floor. I was stunned. :rofl:

10. benny196

benny196 New Member

Seriously, listening to people who I thought knew what they were talking about. (When i first started i got setup with a really really shitty routine and I wish that I could've been making real progress in those few months.)

11. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

i was doing seated calf raises and the pin that keeps the pads in place that go over your knees wasnt fully engaged

i had 3 plates on and the pin came loose causing the whole thing to crash down. i tried to play it off

12. JFForPresident

JFForPresident Fuck me in the beard. OT Supporter

my first time going to an actual gym, I figured I could do like 100lbs on the ab crunching machine because I was able to do shit loads of sit ups...I ended up tearing some abs couldn't workout for like a month.

13. TZ

TZ Banned

somehow i dropped a 35 pound plate on my big toe

14. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

i squatted exclusively on a smith machine when i was first starting out. Was up to around the high 200s for reps. One day, someone was on my smith machine so I went to sthe quat rack and put 135 on the bar since thats what I would warmup w/ on the smith. I walk it out, almost hurting myself in the process, and then when I finally start going down, I have to dump it because I couldn't come out of the hole.

I went home after that

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

doing shoulder presses and causing joint pain even though I knew it would happen

farting helllaaaaaa loud one time when I bent down to check out my 1RM deadlift :rofl: that was seriously one of the most embarassing things ever, because I had to stop for a minute and make sure I hadn't shit myself, and I think it was pretty obvious why I was shifting my legs around and squeezing my glutes for a second. thankfully I hadn't shat myself, but the way the incident made me look was just awful.

16. Lobo2me

Lobo2me Would you hit?

Putting too much weight on while benching and getting it down on my chest, had to roll it over my balls before I could get it up

And I read a story about a guy who worked out alone and died from benching

17. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

my old weight training teacher in high school told us one of his students bought a bench for his home after he graduated and choked to death from the bar when he benched without a spotter....

happened to me when I was 13... woke up and felt like benching (with cold muscles :hsugh: ), hopped on my home bench and loaded up 125, which I had never attempted before.... lowered it to the chest and couldn't bring it up.... had to roll it to the balls like you said :o....

18. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

dropped a 45 on my big toe....the nail is permanently fucked up....

19. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

I was squatting, coming back up and knocked out the pins, so i had nowhere to put it, and before dumping it i just stood there for like 5 minutes trying to understand what the hell happened.

20. benny196

benny196 New Member

You have no idea how much that scares me, because all i have acess to right now is a smith.

21. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

same shit happened to me

woke up the nextday, I rolled it onto my belly and then lifted it and re-racked it, felt like my stomach had been hit by a bomb

I use db's now

22. pecker

pecker most non non hanus

i couldn't help myself and was checking out a girl who was on a machine facing the bench I was at. I went to put away my weights when done and walked right into the weight rack and fell flat on my face. I went home immediately :(

23. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

One time I was benching and talking to someone and totally didn't realize, but one side didn't have a 25 lbs plate.
    luckily I didn't lift it cuz a dude ran over from across the gym to stop me. (so i guess he was watching me lift :hsugh: )

24. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

I was walking in between benches looking at this one girl and i ran into a bar and knocked it off. Everyone just kinda looks at me :ugh: and I go :hs: and pick the bar up and put it back. I was so embarrassed.

25. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

My last set of tri's, I did 225 close grip bench w/o a spotter. Locked out on the 4th rep and couldn't get the bar back on the bench. I had to dump the weight. While this was happening 4 people are standing around me watching.

I got up and yelled at every one of them. I then took a 45lb plate of on each side, finished my set, and walked away with my tail between my legs. :mamoru:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.