Stupid wireless router

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neuman, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Neuman

Neuman New Member

got this linksys wrt54gl recently and am having one...small...issue.

setup:
    - living in a 830sq/ft. apartment
    - living just outside of downtown Honolulu, in a high rise, next to several other high rises.
    - two wired pc's
    - two wireless laptops

everything seems to be fully functional inside the apartment. wireless strength never seems to get worse than "very good" throughout, but when i go out onto the lanai (balcony), everything comes to a halt. i can have my laptop in hand surfing the net, then i walk 5 feet outside, and everything stops.

i've tried having the laptop in direct line of sight of the router. inside it works, walking outside it doesn't.

any ideas what's going on here? i am starting to think i am getting interference with something going on outside.

thanks for the help.

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Try changing the channel of the router -- default is usually 11, channel 1 works best for me in most cases. It sounds like interference and this *might* help. Otherwise I'd try a new router.

3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I believe default is channel 6....

the reason that changing channels might help is that everyone and their mom has wireless now. and no one really changes setting so nearly everyone is on channel 6 and there is alot of interference going on. So if you change the channel, you may get less interference and your speed may go up. I don't know if this will help your specific situation though.

4. Neuman

Neuman New Member

yeah i tried the channel thing as well yesterday which didn't seem to make much of a difference. when viewing available wireless networks there are about 4-5 including me.

i just bought this router, seemed to be one of the best reviewed on newegg for wireless b/g. was hoping to get this to work instead of having to dump more money into it :hsd:

any other thoughts?

thanks

5. Neuman

Neuman New Member

okay.....no cream...