Stupid Windows Defrag

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zourn, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

OK, so I'm trying to resize my NTFS partition so i can daul-boot WinXP and Linux. So i go and defrag my drive. It didn't look quite defragged, so I redefragged. I have defragged 5 times and it looked right so I boot the Knoppix 3.2 and go to qtParted and it tells me I need to defrag that partition.
    So I go back to WinXP and run defrag and it tells me at the end that "One or more files could not be defragged, View Log to see these files." So I view the log and under where it says "Files not Defragged" there are not any files. :wtf:
    I had deleted enough to have 23.56 gigs free and I want a 10 gig Linux partition with an additional 1gig swap partition.

What can I do?

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

3. a2vwnick

a2vwnick VW Motorsports

Volume fragmentation
    Total fragmentation = 51 %
    File fragmentation = 99 %
    Free space fragmentation = 3 %

4. NoLiving

NoLiving Guest

Windows only defragments files, it doesn't optimize thier location or concatinate all the files. You'll need to either use something like norton utillities to defrag it correctly or use partition magic do edit your partitions.

5. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

OK, I ask about new hard Drives and I get told to partition and Dual-boot, http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?threadid=769338

Then I ask about partitioning and get told to get a new HDD.

:big grin::big grin::big grin:

But I got it working, I used Partition Magic and then when I booted into Windows it told me "New Hardware Found" so it must've been a driver for something.