stupid weight loss question...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by BlackdeathM3, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackdeathM3

BlackdeathM3 ************************

OK, my fat ass can't really last that long on a treadmill, shins start killing me. Hopefully when I drop more weight it will get better.

So I ride the bike. My question, even though I am just spinning, and just using my legs, I get my heart rate up to 145-155, and according to the epic chart on the bike I'm in "weight loss" in that heart rate range.

Even though I'm not running, and in my mind using my whole body, am I doing what I need to burn calories to lose weight, by getting my heart rate up?

thanks......:wiggle:

2. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

dont pay attention to the word schemes they attach to the heart rate charts...there have been lots of studies (where HIIT came from) saying that keeping your heart rate in the high range is better to burn fat as well as build cardio aswell...try both ranges out and if you can make it through a whole work out above 155, keep doing that i would say

3. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

try an eliptical

4. BlackdeathM3

on an eliptical I get my heart rate up to 165-170, and I have high blood pressure. when my heart rate gets up to that, my head starts hurting, and that scares me....

5. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

your head hurts? your shins hurt? christ man just stick to eating cheetos on the couch, man the fuck up, go to the doc, get fixed up and go to work bro.

6. BlackdeathM3

i don't like cheetos, lol.

I have been to the doc and she said to not push it for the first little bit of going to the gym, and I have high blood pressure, etc. I'm trying to do work.

I'm not trying to have a heart attack.

I'm not trying to cry about my shins hurting, my question is if I get my heart rate up, does that equal weight loss.

hopefully in a couple years we can compare delts...

7. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

8. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

of course your heart rate needs to be elevated when doing cardio to burn calories man, start out at ~145-150 and move up from there.

9. BlackdeathM3

thanks, I guess i'm just over-thinking it, I feel like I'm not doing as much if I'm doing bike instead of running/elipitcal, but getting my heart rate up the same. dunno.

10. smb is me

smb is me New Member

you aren't doing as much if you are doing the bike instead of elliptical, your assumption is correct. But enable to maximize your bike cardio's fat burn, yes you want to get your heart rate up into the optimum fat burn range, you'll just have to do it a little longer to burn the same number of calories.

Once your shins start healing up/getting used to running or elliptical you can start incorporating it more. Until then, feel good that you are persevering and doing the bike instead. Most newby's trying to lose weight would take the first excuse they could find to bail out, you are dealing with it and coming up with the next best solution.

Good luck.

11. k624ash

k624ash New Member

Diet is extremely important as well, hows your diet? Are you counting calories?

12. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

This.

It doesn't matter if you are doing a ton of cardio, if you are eating more because of it or your diet isn't in check you won't see any results.

How high is your blood pressure? Mine is normally 145/90 or so and I can do HIIT just fine, my HR gets up higher than 155 and I don't get headaches or anything.

As far as advice goes, if you just started doing it, start slow and work your way up to being able to do harder cardio, just make sure you are actually pushing yourself and like i said before, monitoring what you are eating

13. k624ash

k624ash New Member

Yea when i was running a lot was when i gained the most weight. The running increased my appetite.

14. BlackdeathM3

I can't remember what my blood pressure was exactly last time she measured it, but I got put on pills.

I am trying to alter my diet to more healthy choices. I read the sticky's and watched the one vid about starting a weight loss program when you have over 20% BF, I have about 30%, lol. Sucks, but I am doing something about it.

but, bottom line, I'm not sitting on the couch eating shit and then complaining about not loosing weight like some people. I am trying to make headway, and I know its going to take time, but I don't want to spin my wheels.

15. k624ash

k624ash New Member

It sounds like your on the right track, read this thread for inspiration http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4211894

Just keep going at it, its well worth the effort you put in

16. Daria

Daria New Member

If you are experiencing pain when your heart rate goes to a certain level, I would recommend not doing it. Instead, do exercise in smaller spurts. If you can't last 30 minutes on the treadmill, do 20 or 15, then do another 20 or 15 later. Or combine some treadmill time with some bike time.

You have to listen to your body so that you don't do more harm than good. There is nothing wrong with going at a slower pace, so long as you are consistent with it and push yourself when you feel you can.

Lifting light weights is another type of exercise that can help burn calories and isn't too stressful on the heart. You can do things like:
    Bicep/Hammer curls,
    Squats,
    Crunches,
    Pushups,
    Shoulder Raises / Shoulder Presses,
    Chest Flys/Chest Presses,
    Calf Raises,
    Back Extensions,
    Tricep Extensions,
    Bent-over Rows,
    Front/Side Lunges,
    etc.

In order to see any weight loss results with your exercise, you will need to monitor your caloric intake for the day. If you are exercising as much as possible and not losing any weight, lower your calories. Try to eat every 2-3 hours to avoid hunger and include protein in every meal and snack also to avoid hunger. Whole wheat/grans and large volumes of vegetables will help fill in your meals and snacks to help you feel fuller after eating.

17. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

If your goal is to use cardio to speed up your weight loss you're doing it wrong. It's way harder to manage your diet while you're doing cardio, especially if you're not used to dieting. You burn about 100 calories per mile if you're doing some serious running. So even if you run 20 miles a week, you're only burning an extra 2000 calories, which is only equivalent to about 3 meals. So if you're interested in fat loss, you should decide what's harder, cutting out a muffin from your diet every day, or running 20 miles a week.

18. BlackdeathM3

I am doing cardio and cutting out the muffins

19. seismic

seismic New Member

On the shins comment, I got a lot of pain when running in my shins. I recently bought a pair of nike free's and the pain is gone. I attributed it to how my feet were landing while running.

20. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Lots of excuses up in this thread.

21. SuperChode

SuperChode New Member

How many calories do you eat a day?

22. BlackdeathM3

trying to stay around 2000-2500, if I don't see improvements I will lower those numbers.

23. Cabbagekid-108

Cabbagekid-108 New Member

Watch what you eat: i say start eating spinach and broccoli which will help you stay full

Lift weights: fairly light, i'd say go for 3 sets of 15.

Skipping rope: i highly recommend getting one. For about $10 its worth it. Just go at a steady pace and start working at 1 min skipping 45 sec rest.

24. Daria

Daria New Member

how did you come to that conclusion?

25. Daria

Daria New Member

I learned that the hard way. Always easier to get your diet in check.

Also, if something happens in your day and you don't get your exercise in for the day, then you're not fucked over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.