Stupid Question?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by man oh man, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. man oh man

man oh man New Member

I know this is probably a stupid question, so you can save all your smartass answers :)

I've been doing a lot of cardio lately in hopes to get back in shape but it seems like it's not really working the way I want. My legs look thinner and a lot more tone along with my glutes but the weight in my lower stomach area doesn't seem to be effected much at all. Am I doing something wrong or does that particular area take longer to "lose weight" than other parts of my body?

I'm doing about 45 minutes of cardio at my ideal heart rate with speed intervals and different inclines anywhere from three to four times a week.

2. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

How long has it been?

How is your diet?

Do some weight lifting, too.

3. Layman

Layman New Member

I believe that people tend to lose fat in a certain order, meaning that your gut may be the last place you'll lose it. Just keep it up and the results will come eventually.

4. man oh man

man oh man New Member

Honestly it hasn't been that long--maybe 2 weeks. I'm not looking to have a flat stomach with perfect abs right now, but I was just wondering why I can see a difference in my legs and butt and not in my stomach.

My diet is improving--no fried food, lots of fruits and fresh veggies, lots of water, i still have about 3 sodas a week--but that's because I'm a fatass and I need to stop drinking soda. I'm not putting the blame anywhere but on myself.

I know the whole "it took a while to get there, it'll take a while to get it off"--but like I said..I was just curious.

What kind of weight lifting should I be doing? I've never lifted weights before so I need to start off slow. Also, I have a horrible right shoulder (I completely tore my AC rotator cuff a few years ago and didn't bother to finish physical therapy etc. so it healed very poorly. I can still lift weight and stuff with my right arm, but if I push it too hard it ends up doing more damage than good.)

5. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Where you gain and lose fat is totally genetic.. you just have to keep losing it until it goes from the places you want.

For most guys, the stomach is the last place to go - just like with women it's the hips and ass.. you can thank your hormones and genetics for that one.

6. man oh man

man oh man New Member

I'm a woman ;) My genetics have failed me :( lol

7. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

deadlifts and squats are great for the glutes

8. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

It will come. Always comes off last off the place you want it to come off first.

9. man oh man

man oh man New Member

haha, awesome--I'll just keep at it then.

While I'm at it I'll go ahead and ask another stupid question...I've been eating a lot of fresh fruit lately but I've been told by a few people that if I want to LOSE weight then i shouldn't eat fruit because of the sugars in it. The way I see it though is it's natural sugar which is better than processed sugars found in idk... cake or whatever, right?

So is fruit really causing me to gain weight? No, right?

10. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

everything in moderation.
    Best to document how much you eat using a site like fitday. That way you can balance your calories, fats, carbs and proteins.
    Generally, if you are on a low carb diet then yes, fruits are bad. But, if you are reaching for a chocolate bar and grab an apple instead, thats good.

11. DiabSoule!

DiabSoule! ooh, plum been runnin', buck a doz. ooh, smoke ba

Focus on your core large muscle groups, chest, legs, back. Start with low weight, get your form right and move up. Muscle burns more calories even when you're resting - building some lean mass will help achieve your goals.

There are people here who know a bunch more than I do but that along with eating right is the advise I can give ya being an out of shape guy seeing what's working for him.

12. keeler

keeler New Member

bust out those squats leg presses etc, get some serious legs. then call me

13. man oh man

man oh man New Member

....what does this even mean? I'm not asking about "serious legs"...did you read the first post? :hsugh:

I'm honestly confused.

14. keeler

keeler New Member

yeah, weight loss. muscle burns calories even at rest. so get some muscle. as a woman it will be easiest to gain in hte legs. make more sense now?

15. man oh man

man oh man New Member

Yeah, a lot more.

16. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

First on, last off.

17. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

I've been exercising rigorously since November, and until this morning I never really felt I was making progress on my spare tire. I woke up this morning and realized that in the last week or two I look like I've lost 15-20 lbs alone. It just takes some time.

For me, the stomach and love handles are really a beast. I'm also discovering that I was a lot less muscular and a lot fatter than I realized when I started all this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.