GUN stupid question - target shooting w/ pistol at 18 yrs old

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bigman7903, Oct 25, 2005.

1. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

ok, the great state of ohio says that i cannot purchase a pistol untill i'm 21 (i can however buy rifle/shotgun at 18 which i have considered doing), and i'm sort of curious whether or not i'm allowed to shoot my dads pistols at the range without him being there w/ me now that i am 18

i have a free period in my day and would love to go take his little .22 target pistol and punch some holes, but i dont know of any legal ramifications of this

Help me out OT,

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Most likely you aren't allowed to transport at 18 if your father isn't with you.

3. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

You need to check the Ohio state laws, it really varies by state. Here in Oregon you can buy a handgun, from a private party, and also be "gifted" one by a family member. At 18 you can also transport and shoot handguns on your own. Check your local laws. www.packing.org is a good site, tho i heard it was down the other day?

4. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Some pistol ranges around here won't even allow 18 yr olds unless they are accompanied by an over-21 family member who then has to sign a release form.

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Like already mentioned. Need to check your local laws. We can have handguns in LA at 18 as long as they're through a private party purchase or you're gifted with them.

giving your location would help out as someone here may live in your state or be familar with their laws.

6. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

7. mvizos

mvizos New Member

Didn't he give his location when he said "the great state of ohio"?

8. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  9. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

§ 2923.21. Improperly furnishing firearms to a minor.

(A) No person shall do any of the following:

(1) Sell any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(2) Subject to division (B) of this section, sell any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

(4) Sell or furnish a firearm to a person who is eighteen years of age or older if the seller or furnisher knows, or has reason to know, that the person is purchasing or receiving the firearm for the purpose of selling the firearm in violation of division (A)(1) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age or for the purpose of furnishing the firearm in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(5) Sell or furnish a handgun to a person who is twenty-one years of age or older if the seller or furnisher knows, or has reason to know, that the person is purchasing or receiving the handgun for the purpose of selling the handgun in violation of division (A)(2) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age or for the purpose of furnishing the handgun in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

(6) Purchase or attempt to purchase any firearm with the intent to sell the firearm in violation of division (A)(1) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age or with the intent to furnish the firearm in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(7) Purchase or attempt to purchase any handgun with the intent to sell the handgun in violation of division (A)(2) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age or with the intent to furnish the handgun in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age.

(B) Divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section do not apply to the sale or furnishing of a handgun to a person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age if the person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age is a law enforcement officer who is properly appointed or employed as a law enforcement officer and has received firearms training approved by the Ohio peace officer training council or equivalent firearms training.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of improperly furnishing firearms to a minor, a felony of the fifth degree.

HISTORY: 134 v H 511 (Eff 1-1-74); 146 v H 4 (Eff 11-9-95); 146 v S 269 (Eff 7-1-96); 146 v H 124. Eff 3-31-97.

10. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

thanks alot guys, i guess i have to look up the number for the local range and ask,:x:

11. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

i know that they'll let me shoot rifles w/o a problem because i went to a gvt operated range and i was there by myself for about 2 hours

12. 2L Bunny

And calling the range doesn't always help. They may know their policy, but they don't nessesarily know the laws. I got into a heated debate with a gun store commando once. He didn't know what he was talking about.

13. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

noted, calling city hall/police dept in the near future, thanks, good to know

14. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

also not a good idea.. cops dont know shit about laws, you'll learn that sooner or later

15. 2L Bunny

Personally I'd go to city hall, or hte Police dept and see if they have the written laws for you to read. If they're not busy they might not even help you. Also being there they can show you the law, instead of just telling you.

16. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

yep... I guess that does count.

17. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Rifles are different from handguns, by federal law you can purchase a rifle at 18, but you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun.

18. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

these laws are by far some of the dumbest things ive ever heard

i'm capable of buying a shotgun or a long range sniper/varmint/target rifle but i probably cannot use a .22 target pistol on my own at age 18, despite the fact that if i were to join the military they'll tell me to have a good time w/ one

couple bad eggs scramble the rest of us

19. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan OT Supporter

get a 10/22, its real cheap and a lot of fun :dunno: its not a pistol but at least you will have something you can shoot whenever

20. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

good idea, but i dont have $150 to be tossing into a gun that i can only use ocasionally, plus the fact that id be itching to tweak it so toss in some more cash - id rather just take my dads 10/22, but yeah essentially thats what i'll have to do :wtc:, i need work w/ my pistol skills, i'm good w/ a rifle (i can take out pennies at 100yds w/o much trouble w/ our 22 target (remington 513t)

21. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

What about a nice pellet gun handgun? Then you can work on your pistol skills without having to go to a range.

Some areas consider firing a pellet gun the same as a rifle though... so might want to check out your local laws or take a risk. I shot pellet and bb guns in my parents backyard when I was young all the way through HS and never had them complain about anything. I had a nice metal pellet trap too.

Just another option if you're that set on wanting a pistol to practice with.

22. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

damnit, i live in suburbia hell, and theres too many lil kids around, i wouldnt feel safe even trying it, just my luck, aint pushing it

23. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

for those of you who are intrested/curious, an 18 yr old cannot in any way shape or form possess a pistol w/o parental/guardian supervision and permission

damn

24. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan OT Supporter

where are you in ohio?

25. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

bay village, a little west of cleveland, i usually go to B and T shooting supply in Elyria

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005