Stupid question... power switch?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kerpal, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

So I misplaced my front (case mounted) power switch for the computer I'm building... whoops. I tried booting it anyway and nothing happened, not to surprised. I did try plugging the reset switch into the power switch connectors on the mobo, and holding it down to try and make a connection, which seems to me like it should work in theory, but it did nothing. Does that sound right to you guys? I mean the computer is totally dead... no fans come on, not even in the psu itself, no led's come on...

Obviously I need to find or replace that stupid switch, but is there anything to do to test out the computer just to make sure it boots until I find it? A power switch seems to be momentary, since mine is spring loaded; a friend suggested using a jumper to connect the pins, but if the switch is supposed to be momentary I'm wary that that kind of a fixed connection could hurt something.

2. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

if the original switch was momentary (APM controlled), then the reset switch oughtta work... :dunno:

3. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

shouldn't it be momentary? it sure seemed like it was... my other computer only has one momentary switch that handles on, off, and reset.... :dunno:

can i just buy any momentary switch to replace it with? i can't find the original one anywhere... :hs:

4. psychonate

psychonate I make baby jesus cry

just use a jumper and connect the two pins :)

5. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

promise that won't fry anything? :x:

6. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

:o If I hit pwr when it's on, the sys goes into shut down mode, but if I hold it down it just plain shuts it off. I dunno how it would react if you held it down when powering on

But it shouldn't hurt it